Sunday, May 29, 2005

Turning lemons into lemonade...or something.

I'll be updating my resume today for a summer job I plan to apply for: a counselor at a camp for individuals with physical disabilities. Although I have some reservations (let's face it: I'm not exactly the poster girl for physical fitness; while I don't know the exact requirements of the position, I'm pretty sure that I could barely get MYSELF through a ropes course, let alone an adult male in a wheelchair--and yes, there actually is a modified, handicapped-accessible ropes course), this job would also be beneficial in a number of ways.

- The position includes room and board, so I would have a place to stay for the summer that doesn't involve my mother and I living under the same roof for 8 weeks.

- It would provide me with great fodder for my resume (not the most altruistic reason, perhaps, but still a motivating factor).

- One would think that, with all the physical exertion, outdoor activities and (I assume) relatively healthy food, I could actually get myself into shape.

And, most importantly:

- I can spend my Summer of Angst and Heartbreak (good thing that I'm not too dramatic or anything) doing something worthwhile and meaningful. Spending time with those who are physically challenged should help to put my own "problems" into perspective for me; really, all things considered, I'm still pretty damn lucky.

For more information on the camp, go here:

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~lukek/schedule.htm

8 comments:

Jen said...

However, some negatives:

-This will severely limit my ability to sleep in
-I don't know how much "free time" I'll have. When am I officially off duty? Do I have evenings to myself? Will I be allowed to come and go during that time (to visit family, etc.)?

Nik said...

Sounds like a really awesome, if not relatively challenging, experience! I hope things work out for you and this definitely sounds like something you'll never forget. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

P.S. Answer your phone every now and then, beeotch!

keesh said...

I think it would be a really life changing experience you could use a lot for future reference when you are a teacher and throughout other experiences in your life.

Jen said...

Borg, I don't know about access to a computer. Yeah, that would suck. I'd have to send Renee "posts" to put up for me. =-)

Renee, I realized that about the blog party last night.

Let's wait and see if they call first.

Jen said...

If you look at the dates, "chill time" seems to be like one night off, cuz one session ends that same day and another one starts the next day.

I'm thinking, though, that we have to have more than like 1 night off every few weeks and then that 4 day staff break or whatever it is. Wouldn't you think? Maybe the staff alternates or something. And if I go into it telling htem that I already had something planned for that one weekend, they might be able to help me out.

Again, let's see if they call even.

Jen said...

Speaking of the blog party, Rob has requested that we all reenact the Paris/ carwash commercial and capture it on videotape, which he has graciously hold for safe keeping

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.