Karate Lesson #2
Today, I learned that:
- I am remarkably uncoordinated.
- It is surprisingly hard to step with your right foot and punch with your left, and then step with your left foot and punch with your right--over and over again, in quick succession. For me, it proved to be a little like that old "rub your belly and pat your head" trick.
- When you're just learning karate and you're watching and working with people who have been doing this for 5, 10, even 15 years, you feel like a straight-up jackass.
- Although I suck at punching the air, if you put one of those workout bags in front of me, I can actually pack some heat. No, seriously.
- I'm actually picking up the kicks pretty quickly (thanks to Tae Bo, I think), and I have the "back kick of a mule" (her words)--again, not sure if that's a compliment or not. =-)
Overall, even though *I* feel like I'm hopeless, she said that I'm doing quite well for a beginner, and that there are certain things I've already nailed (like the kicks, the c-step) that take some people a good couple of months. The punches, however (and there are SEVERAL, all increasingly more complicated), will take me a while.
I'm SO EXCITED.