Wednesday, June 22, 2005

*Thud*

Madison and I were playing Uno when we suddenly heard a thud at the window. I knew it was a bird, so--like any brave, fearless nanny--I sent the 4-year-old to check out the situation.

"There's a bird on the step!" he reported.

Crap. That's what I was afraid of.

"Is he standing up and looking around?" I asked hopefully.

"No. He's laying there and his feet are up."

Crap.

That was half an hour ago. I keep hoping that he just knocked himself out and that soon he'll wake up, but the odds of that are dwindling by the minute.

We'll just have to use the garage door all day because I am NOT removing a dead bird.

And speaking of things that you think are dead but revive themselves at the last minute--the Pistons' run for the championship. (That was either a GREAT segue or a really, really bad one.) I totally thought that once they lost at home on Sunday and had to go back to San An for the next two games that the series was basically over. I wasn't the only one; hell, the Spurs had their victory parade planned for Thursday (their at-home record HAS been pretty hard to beat). Instead, Game 7 will be held that night in Texas. I don't know if Detroit can pull off that miracle win two games in a row--but so many people were surprised by the results of last night's game that I suppose, at this point, anything's possible.

6 comments:

sparkydiva said...

my condolences over the loss of the bird...unless, of course, he's just in a coma.

GO SPURS! (i'm a texan - i have to be loyal!)

~b

sparkydiva said...

LOL...probably...but i have to be loyal, right? does it count for anything that i'm not a cowboys fan?

Jen said...

Jevanking, I love a man who goes out on a limb like that.

My goal for the day is to go out and take care of the bird before Mr S gets home. So far, I have managed to cover it with a paper towel. So that must count for something. (And I gagged doing that much. To explain to you just why I'm so skeezed out, there is a--

STOP READING IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH

--pool of something underneath the bird's head. It might just be rainwater from the brief monsoon we had, but I fear that it's something much more sinister.

Fred said...

Jen, the "Bird Lady" of Blog Land.

Suggestion for the next update? Bye, Bye, Birdie.

Jen said...

I did it!! I did it! I went out there and, armed with a snow shovel, I put the bird in a plastic bag, which is now in the outside garbage. (If the parents feel the need to dispose of it in another manner, well, that's on them.)

I swear to God, I had to stop twice to look away (I was getting lightheaded and my stomach was turning) but I did it.

Nik said...

You and birds, what the hell? Sorry for the poor birdie, chalk it up to natural selection, I guess.
Pistons, yeah, Nuff said!

Sparky-- definitely big points for you for not being a Cowboys fan! That says so much more than you cheering for the Spurs, almost (but not quite) redeeming, really! lol