Sunday, June 05, 2005

Announcing the arrival of the baby robins!!

I've been checking the nest every day (sometimes several times a day) for the last week or so--as I leaned in to check today, I did a double-take because there were two baby robins staring back up at me! The other two should hatch in the next couple of days (they hatch in the order they were laid, about a day apart). They're kind of freaky looking, with big eyes, long, skinny necks and wide-open beaks--but, like a true "mother," I think they're beautiful.

However, now I'm really worried because we're getting a big storm tonight, with high-ass winds, hail and rain. A minute ago, the winds were so high that I could barely open the sliding door to go check on them. I almost cried, because Momma Robin was stoicly sitting in her nest, braving the winds and the rain to protect her babies. My main worry is that the winds will knock the nest out of the tree or something. We're under a tornado watch, and you KNOW that if one hits, my ass'll be up in that tree, protecting the whole robin family.

Anyway, I have about 4 pictures left on this roll (enough to get me through the birth of the next two babies), and then I'll get them scanned (and, of course, I'll have to buy another disposable camera to continue documenting their development).

I'll update this post when the next two are born.

9 comments:

keesh said...

Jen- yes post pics. My son was watching a nest at his Grandma's but someone took it down shortly after the baby birds hatched. My mother in law was so mad at whoever did it. I mean it wasn't hurting anything where it was. People are cruel sometimes. Anyway, Mason will love the pics!!

Jen said...

I just hope these pics are turning out okay.

Jen said...

One more came today; last one should be here tomorrow.

And it's getting to the point that when I look into the nest and talk, the older one raises up his head when he hears my voice. LOL.

Jen said...

Actually, I was envisioning myself as more of a Disney princess, sitting in the woods and humming as small birds land on my outstretched finger and chipmunks and other small forrest animals sit adoringly at my feet.

Jen said...

LOLOLOLOLOLLOL

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

I should be surprised that Rob has turned an innocent post about baby robins into one about hummers...and yet, I'm not.

Nik said...

Too cool Jen! And don't fret too much, Momma bird knows how to take care of her lil ones, regardless of Mother Nature. Although I'd love to see your ass up in that tree, trying to protect them.
What's up with miss ghetto fabulous, btw? Sha-Nee Nee, you're sons got either a very creative imagination of you might wanna get his eyes checked! lol

Jen said...

Well the last egg hasn't hatched yet, and as it's been at least two days since the 3rd baby came, I'm starting to think that maybe that 4th one isn't viable (again, there's usually only a day between hatchings). If nothing happens in the next day or two with that last one, then I don't think it will. Darn. Well, 3 out of 4 isn't too bad.