Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Karma's a b*tch.

Now that I've finally decided to stay with the S's for the summer and things are settling down here at the homefront, I was informed this morning that Mrs. S is being relegated to part-time status at work. What does that mean for Supernanny? Well, we aren't sure yet. She says she's going to try to keep me on part time through mid-August (which is when I would be leaving anyway), but a lot of that depends on their new financial picture. Ideally, I can still do part-time with them and then find something else to supplement that income for the next 8 weeks or so. I'm meeting with Mrs. F, Mrs S's boss, this Thursday about tutoring her daughter, and Mrs. S is spreading the word at work about my tutoring availability, as well (as is Jeff; he says he may have someone for me at Lowe's, too). The good news is that once I go part time, Mrs. S says that she'll start paying me under the table, so what I make will actually be what I take home--so between that and whatever else I'm able to pick up, maybe I can still clear close to what I've been bringing home every week.

This is unfortunate, as we really needed both of us to be making full-time money for as long as possible before I begin my unpaid 12 weeks of student teaching; if this had come down sooner, maybe I could have found another full-time gig for the summer. I'll hit the nanny sites to see if anyone else has need for a part-time nanny/babysitter; I'm also thinking about posting some fliers up at local stores, etc. It kind of depends, though, on what my schedule will be with the S's (we don't know yet).

I should have stayed active with Pure Romance, but I let myself slide into inactive status and now it would cost a couple hundred to reactivate (you have to purchase a certain amount in order to be active again).

Any ideas?

17 comments:

sparkydiva said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sparkydiva said...

you can watch my daughter for the summer! what would your commute be like to fort worth, tx?? seriously, though...good luck!
~b

Nik said...

Prostitution usually brings in some good money in the summer! (so I've heard).

Fred said...

How about a temp agency? The jobs aren't all that glamorous sometimes, but you just might get a good assignment.

Anonymous said...

LOL :-)
I'm with the temping idea if you can't find a part time nannying or tutoring position.
Renee

Jen said...

Mrs. S told me today that her supervisor at work (different person from the "boss" I'm meeting with tomorrow night about tutoring her daughter) might want to "split" me with her--I'd with the S's half the day and then this other family the other part. So I'd still make what Im making now, just go back and forth between two families. That would work too.

Jen said...

PS, Pure Romance is a home based business/in home party plan...for "relationship enhancement products."

Anonymous said...

DILDOS!

Jen said...

Well I got that tutoring job, and Kim also told me that if I can't get enough nanny work over the summer, I can work for her company till I start student teaching. So at least I WILL be able to keep the money coming in until August, which is good.

Jen said...

Story of my life, Borg..I've never known any other way, actually. HOpefully that will change once I get a teaching job.

Jen said...

LOL, hey now. Compared to what I've been making, my Michigan Teacher Salary will almost be like Easy Street.

Jen said...

Hell, I might even be able to buy BRAND NAME mac and cheese.

Fred said...

Speaking of salaries - it takes 19, yes 19, years before you break through the $40,000 range here in Tampa. Good thing I made money first, then went into teaching.
Check it out.

Jen said...

Even with a Masters, it takes like 18!!! No wonder there's so much competition for Michigan teaching jobs.

Fred said...

But we have really nice weather! (hurricanes, schmurricanes...)

Jen said...

Good to know, at least the beginning teachers in their cardboard boxes are staying warm. ;)

Jen said...

Yeah, you havent lived till you've sold sex toys to your mom.

I'm setting up a PayPal account for my therapy bills.