Monday, April 27, 2009

Justify *this*

I saw this on Nik's blog. It's another fun-with-iTunes kind of thing, but this one could get interesting...

*Using the shuffle feature on your iPod, write down the first 10 songs that play.

*Obviously, you have to use the for-real first 10; no picking, choosing or editing!

*Justify, depend or explain why THAT particular song is on your iPod.

LOL. Have you SEEN my play list on previous exercises? I have the gayest songs EVER. I'll have to justify the hell out of my songs.

1. Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama. And she starts out strong! This is, clearly, a classic rock staple. You're hooked from the second you hear that gee-tar kick in. Does anyone NOT shout "hell, yeah!" and hold up their beer bottle/cup/what-have-you when this one comes on?

2. Billy Joel - Tell Her About It. Okay, harder to explain. I've loved him since I was 10 and I stole this tape out of my dad's car. I was the only 5th grader who had Uptown Girl memorized. But you really DO need to give her every reason to accept that you're fo' real.

3. Kenny Wayne Shephard - I Found Love (When I Found You). I can thank Cam for this bluesy entry--it was actually our song. He went to the bar after our first fight, heard it, said it made him realize how much he loved me, and he came right back home, all apologetic and practically teary-eyed and shit. How do you beat THAT? Especially after his accident and everything that went down, this song means the world to me. I remember, even if he doesn't.

4. Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with my list thus far. YOU LIVE FOR THE FIGHT WHEN IT'S ALL THAT YOU GOT--and then, the best part, singing balls-out, OOOOOH, WE'RE HALFWAY THE-ERE! Dude. Seriously.

5. Go-Gos - We've Got the Beat. Hmm. Okay, my track record took a bit of a hit on this one, but you KNOW you drum on the steering wheel when this one comes on in the car. Don't front.

6. She Goes Down - Motley Crue. Shut up, bitches. I know what you guys are going to say. Let's move on.

7. God Gave Rock n Roll To You - KISS. I saw them in concert and this song gave me chills. It was truly amazing live. This was their last song, and confetti came down....it was magical. Truly.

**Interlude. Is anyone else pleasantly surprised by the non-gayness of my songs?**

8. For Crying Out Loud - Meatloaf. This song reminds me of (Lisa G, you're gonna love this) Chris Cagle. Ah, junior high romances. The drama, the heartbreak, the cheating...damn, kind of like my LAST relationship.

9. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) - Cher. Crap. Well, I can still finish strong. I think I must have been a gay man in a former life because Cher is all OVER my iPod. Listen, she's got a lot of "strong women" anthems...but this one is just fun. And another great walking song.

So much for finishing strong and dignified...

10. Falco - Rock Me Amadeus. Okay, pure 80s cheese, but it always makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. Have you ever tried to be sad and mopey whilst listening to this song? Try it. It's IMPOSSIBLE. Play it at my funeral. You'll see what I mean.

And the next one is so awesome that I had to add it:

The Dan Band, Total Eclipse of the Heart. LOLOL. First introduced in Old School, during their first dance, this song takes a classic heart-wrenching, eat-ice-cream-and-cry 80s breakup ballad and turns it in to the most hysterical song EVER. In fact, I can't listen to the original anymore without hearing their version. (Basically, they sing it all fake-tenderhearted but drop the F bomb during all the sensitive parts, as in "I fuckin' need you now tonight, I fucking need you more than ever" --and my favorite part, "Forever's going to start tonight....for-fuckin-ever's gonna start tonight.") It's like Total Eclipse: Special Tourette's Edition.



Bonus video: while searching for Total Eclipse of the Heart, I found this one. And I'll tell you something--those white boys can DANCE.



OMG!! And then here they do Wilson Phillips. (Did I ever tell you guys that LCB LOVES Wilson Phillips? It's true. He's got their songs on a CD in his car and listens to it ALL THE TIME.) If you're in a hurry, you can skip the intro (although it's funny, if you have time); they start the actual song around 1:55. I giggled really hard when they started the chorus about 2:20. (Has anyone else noticed how crazily off track I've gotten? LOL)


5 comments:

lotusblossom said...

ha ha ha SNORT ha,
you rock and so did middle school love! of course here i am living with half of the fag twins! WHO WOULDA THOUGHT THAT?

FYI my son LOVES meatloaf (are you gonna love me forever?) and he loves anything by Queen.

Renee said...

LOL! I love it. And I LOVE the Dan Band. This is the first time I've seen them, but now I'm in love with 'em. But what's up with the My Name is Luka at the beginning and towards the end of Wilson Phillips? Whatev, it was still funny as hell.

Sara, Kathie and I used to pretend we were Wilson Phillips. LMAO that Shawn listens to them. They ARE awesome, but it IS just a little gay for a dude to listen to them. Possibly a lot gay. Jen, did you ever meet New Girl? Because now I'm concerned that she may have a penis. ;-)

BWAAAAAAHAAAAAA! Chris Cagle? LOL. Now you just made me think of Brian Fick...shudder... just HOW fucked up was THAT whole thing, I ask you?

Since you were crabby at the list I posted on Nik's blog because I didn't "justify" most of my songs, I'll do a new one here.

Renee said...

Okay, here's my second list. For first list, go to Nik's blog. Fuck, this is not starting out well.

1. New Kids- Please Don't Go Girl
What can I say? I was SO in love with Joey back in the day and his voice was just so sweet. Who doesn't swoon when listening to this song?

2. Rob Zombie- Dragula
That's better :-) I don't know what to say about this one, though. I just love Rob's voice.

3. Nelly & Tim McGraw- Over and Over
I LOVE NELLY. Don't love Tim, but this song does it for me. When Nelly does his "uh-uh" stuff, I'm gone.

4. Dan Hill- Sometimes When We Touch
Oh, hell. LOLOLOL. I'm a sucker for those '80s and '90s love songs. I have like three different compilation cds of just this shit. I love this song.

5. Adam Sandler- Lunchlady Land
Before I met John, I wanted to marry Adam Sandler. He's so effin funny. This is now one of Brent's favorite songs, too. Like everyone, he loves the "sloppy joe" part :-)

6. Timbaland, feat. Keri Hilson and D.O.E.- The Way I Are
It's just a great song. About acceptance. And I love Keri Hilson's voice

7. En Vogue- Giving Him Something He Can Feel
HA! This one came up when I did the list on Nikki's blog, too. This song is sexy as hell. Along with pretending to be Wilson Phillips, Sara, Kathie and I used to also try to re-enact this video. LMAO.

8. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Tuesday's Gone
No special meaning with this one, I just love Skynyrd!

9. Cypress Hill- Insane in the Brain
Who you tryin to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco? This isn't the reason the song is on my iPod, but it does remind me of one of my cousin's guy friends that I used to make out with if he came to her house when I was there. Nice.

10. Dr. Dre & Ice Cube- Natural Born Killaz
So fuck Charlie Manson. I snatch him out his truck, hit 'em with a brick and I'm dancin'...I love me some old gangsta rap. This song still makes me want to get in a rumble with some bitch :-) LOL. I know. But I'm serious.

Nik said...

Wow, Jen, I expected your list to be muuuuch worse than it turned out and kick ass on the Rock Me Amadeus. How awesome was Falco? Seriously, I love this song, lame or not! I love the Dan Band's version of "Total Eclipse...". Once you hear it their effin way, you'll never hear it the right way again.

Jen said...

Okay a few comments:

"Living with half of the fag twins." LOLOLOL

New Girl doesn't have a penis, but she DOES have balls. Shawn's, as a matter of fact. They can usually be found in her purse. OOH!! BURN!!!

I belt out "And sometimes when we touch" when I hear it in the car. LOL. ...the honesty's too much, I tell you.

I HATE HATE HATE "The way I are", if only purely for the IMGRAMMATICALLY of it. No, that's not a word, but seriously, I hate it.

I think that's all.

And yes, I am in LOVE with Dan. He's just freakin' HOT. And his shit-eating grin..... *sigh*