Sunday, September 16, 2007

It's a twist-ah!

A tornado hit our county today. Luckily (well, for me) it didn't hit Ft. Myers, though. It hit the city next door, Cape Coral. (To put it in perspective, it's like living in North Holland and having a tornado hit Zeeland, or Grand Haven--pretty damn close. For Anna, think Metro Detroit: Livonia and...Farmington Hills, let's say).













Tornados are horrible anywhere, but they're extra scary here in South Florida. See, houses in Florida don't have basements. So we don't really have anywhere "safe" to go, other than a closet or something. (It was once explained to me WHY there aren't basements, but I don't really get it. It has to do with the water in the ground, or something.)

They're still trying to assess the damage but I know cars are flipped over, some houses have serious damage and over 2,000 people lost power. No word yet on injuries or deaths.

If any of you are really bored, you can watch some home footage of it here:

http://www.nbc-2.com/Video/YourVideo.shtml

5 comments:

Jen said...

The news keeps breaking in with updates...they're saying that they think it was only an F-2, but damn some of these pictures are insane. It's pretty scary how close it was. So far, only one minor injury being reported. (And you KNOW that if I'm ever gonna be in a tornado, it would be a freakin' week after I get a new car. =-) )

Anonymous said...

WHY YOU DIDN'T TELL ME??

Renee said...

She just did :-)

I'm glad you're okay! Do you still have power and everything? Being that close I'd think you'd have SOME damage...

Anonymous said...

Tornadoes are scary. Glad you're ok!

Jen said...

Because I knew you'd freak out, Mom. =-) It wasn't worth calling to tell you, I was fine.

And no, Renee, there were no effects for me. Actually, it DID start at Ft Myers beach but that's the distance from, say, Mom's house to the Holland beach--close enough to be scary as hell but not close enough to cause damage. What IS scary is no sirens went off or anything...there were tornadoes THAT CLOSE and I never knew till Single Dad (my name for the new guy) called to tell me.