Saturday, September 01, 2007

Author-ism

On a somewhat unrelated note: I'm considering writing a book about dating with bipolar. Or is this just another one of the "great ideas" that I get during my up times, such as the stripper pole in my living room? (I do practice on it myself still, but I've officially cancelled the 'party' business. What the hell was I thinking? And along those same lines, does anyone want 10 feather boas?)

I will say that I had a racing- thoughts situation as I lay in bed last night--it was like, I could actually SEE the thoughts going around and around in my bed, like an arrow--and I caught myself speaking a little too quickly a couple of times today....I don't know what that means, if it means I'm on the brink of some kind manic thing, if I can stop it by myself by just laying low and avoiding other triggers, if I'm supposed to go in somewhere...I don't want to call my doctor 'cuz it's the holiday weekend and I don't know if she'd even get the message any time soon.

But let me tell you about this book thing because I'm really excited about it. I've been thinking about doing something like this since I was diagnosed this last time, but it was today while I was driving around that it started to solidify in my brain. Every book on being diagnosed with bipolar that I've read in the last month or so (and that's a considerable number, let me tell you) has a section or two for your significant other--"how to help your significant other cope with this diagnosis," "how to help your significant other help you," etc. In all the emergency plans, your "significant other" plays a very important role in recognizing early warning signs, helping you see when it's time to seek help, reminding you to keep doctor's appointments and take your pills every day, etc.

Well, that's all good and fine, but what about those of us who don't HAVE a significant other at the time of diagnosis--but would very much like to have one someday in the future? What if your primary romantic worry is not how someone who already (in theory) loves you unconditionally will deal with this diagnosis, but how to find someone who WILL love you unconditionally, even WITH this diagnosis? Who won't automatically label you as "psycho"? Who won't, a few months into it, decide that it's just "too hard" to be with someone like you?

Dating is hard enough. How the hell are you supposed to do it with bipolar disorder?

And that, my friends, is the premise of the book. I even have a title. *I* think it's brilliant. ;) Are you ready?

"A Crazy Little Thing Called Love: Dating with Bipolar Disorder"

(Get it?)

3 comments:

Renee said...

I love the title!
I left more comments in the above post.

Anonymous said...

Great Idea! Great Title! And it looks like you even have the Introduction done in this post! Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Love it all!!