Thursday, September 01, 2005

My holiday weekend.

Ah, Labor Day weekend--the unofficial end of summer and a chance for families to have one last "fling" before the hustle and bustle of another school year begins anew. I know that some of you have big plans: family barbeques, perhaps, going up north, traveling. I wanted to take a moment to share with you MY plans for the holiday weekend.

1) Grading 25 journals (keep in mind that each journal has three separate entries I need to grade, so this is actually like 75 assignments)
2) Grading 29 spelling tests
3) Grading 28 language arts assignments
4) Writing a week's worth of lesson plans for 7th period reading (the first class I'm taking control of, starting next week)
5) Beginning work on my student teaching notebook/ portfolio (I won't bore you with the details, but this notebook has 10 different components that must be completed prior to the end of my student teaching, including a complete, comprehensive unit)
6) Trying to remember why, exactly, I want to be a teacher

If I ever again hear anyone say, after hearing that I'm entering the education field, "Oh, teaching must be so easy! You only work from 9 to 3 and you get the whole summer off, plus all those breaks during the year!", I will personally bash them over the head.

8 comments:

Mom said...

LOL

Yeah teaching is great.

Mom said...

Well at least you won't be using any gas.

keesh said...

My friend who is a teacher would agree with you. But it is rewarding I hope :). I can't afford to do much this labor day. gas is too expensive! Hanging out with my little man cause the hubby will be gone, having one girls night in town ;) and a lazy Sunday.

Jen- are you sure you are not overworking these young minds? Geesh :)

Fred said...

Welcome to our world. Have a great holiday.

Jamie Dawn said...

Teaching is a hard job, but I think it may be one of the most rewarding jobs.

Jen said...

And this was just week #2!!! This is still the "easy" part!!

Cliff said...

It is easily the most important job in the world. Without teachers we wouldn't know how to splel. :)

Jen said...

LOL Cliff.