Friday, September 30, 2005

My first observation.

Today, my university supervisor came out to observe me teaching a lesson plan. She only does three of these during the entire student teaching, so they're a pretty big deal. As some of you know, I realized midway through the day that *I* had scheduled my first observation for a FRIDAY--LAST HOUR on a Friday. You can imagine how kids are right before the weekend like that, so I was sure that classroom management was going to be a nightmare and that I was doomed before I even began.

Well, as it turns out, it actually went very well. I got a lot of good feedback. The lesson went smoothly. The kids behaved REMARKABLY well for a Friday afternoon. (I didn't tell them who she was, so maybe they were nervous because they weren't sure WHO she was there watching.) The classroom discussion following my lesson was a good one; the kids were engaged and involved; and she said they really seemed to be enjoying this unit (on a novel called The Watsons Go to Birmingham, a fictionalized account of the 1963 church bombing in Birmingham--it's a very good book, actually). She said that I seemed "very at ease" with the kids, that I actually had very good classroom management, especially considering that this was my first observation, and that middle school seemed to be a very good fit for me. Of course, she did have "suggestions for improvement," but I expected nothing less (a, I'm still learning and b, she's one of the toughest advisors at the school. So I was extra excited when we were walking out to our cars and I thanked her for coming and she said something like "Nice job," and I said, "Thank you, I'm glad that it went relatively well" and she said "Don't say 'relatively well;' I'd say that it went very well, particularly for a first visit." Yay.).

All in all, I'm quite happy with how this first observation went. It was a very nice way to start the weekend. AND, Saturday night, Anna and I get to have dinner. I actually get to go out and be SOCIAL on a weekend! Whoo hoo!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

PS--Are you guys happy? It's a more positive post. ;)

Nik said...

Good on ya Jen and congrats too! I knew you wouldn't have a problem with this. I really think you were meant to be a teacher.
Have a good time with Anna this weekend.

Fred said...

Congrats. I'm finding that my intern has no problem with the content area and also seems comfortable with the sudents.

It's the classroom management stuff that's proving to be his biggest opportunity. So, most of my notes to him are centered around that area.

Sounds like you're ready for prime time!

keesh said...

AWESOME!! GREAT JOB!!

Mom said...

I never had any doubts. :-)

Mom said...

I never had any doubts. :-)

Mom said...

Oops.

Jen said...

Bite me, I'm social. (See? I'm a regular people person.)

;)