Sunday, September 18, 2005

Go rent this now.

"Crash," a movie about racial stereotypes, prejudices and attitudes. And I don't just mean white/black, either. Black, white, Asian, Arab-American, Hispanic...

It's not exactly a lighthearted comedy (although there were a few scenes/lines that made me laugh)--but it's a movie everyone NEEDS to see. There were scenes that had me, literally, on the edge of the couch, because you could just SEE what was going to happen next and you were praying it didn't (yes, you get THAT involved with the characters). And sometimes you'll be right, and sometimes something will happen that you didn't see coming.

For once, I agree with the critics (who ALL raved about this movie when it was first released). Go watch it, NOW.

9 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

When he tries to rescue her from the burning SUV, I nearly died! What an emotional moment.

Fred said...

Is it school appropriate, Jen?

Jen said...

Fred: Certain scenes, maybe, to prove a point/spark a discussion. Not the movie as a whole, though, primarily due to a LOT of racial name-calling, some violence (nothing TOO gory tho, so this part is probably okay, actually; I'm sure they're watching this stuff anyway), some sexual references (but again, it's actually nothing they probably cant see in prime time these days).

Depending on the ethnicity of your students, it may actually make some students feel self conscious/uncomfortable. Maybe I'm wrong. Let me know what you think if you see it, Fred.

Fred said...

Will do. I'll buy it, give it a look, then maybe "chunk" (fancy teacher talk) parts of it for the kids. It might be helpful when I teach about civil rights in my AP Government class.

Jen said...

I think John would like it, yes. (It's definitely not a "chick flick," anyway.) ;)

Jen said...

Put your panties back on, Renee.

Fred said...

Hey, what about my action? At least I give you guys videos. (We're starting off PG for now...)

Nik said...

Great movie!! I loved it!

Jen said...

A "little break"?