Friday, September 23, 2005

Please sir, may I have another?

In addition to being sick, going through the "break up" with Thomas and then having my power out for 24 hours due to a storm--my CAR DIED on the way home from work today.

I got it towed (luckily, I still have AAA) to a place right next door to my complex (mind you, I was JUST THERE yesterday getting it "fixed;" they put a new hose on my transmission or something). The mechanic will look at it at soon as they open up tomorrow mornning; I just walked home (took me about 5 minutes to get back to my building). My car decided to take a break from running while I was cruising down the exit ramp to my street; I was able to steer most of the way off the ramp, and a few minute later someone stopped to push me the rest of the way. (So that's positive side #1--it could have died in MUCH worse places in metro Detroit during rush hour; namely, on the major road that is currently down to one lane due to construction. That's the way I USUALLY go home, and had that happened, I would have been in SERIOUS trouble. Positive side #2 is that I had my cell phone on me--thank God that I DID charge it up at work today. Positive side #3 is that I had AAA so I didn't have to pay for the tow. Positive side #4 is that I was able to get it to a place tonight and get home relatively easily. See? I can still look at the bright side.)

Here's the weirdest thing, though. My car was still running, but when I put it in drive and hit the gas, the engine just revved; it wouldn't drive. And trust me, I tried for like 15 minutes. Well, when I got to the mechanic and put it in drive to show him what the problem was--my car was working again. (Which was unfortunate for the mechanic who was, at the time, leaning into my car as I suddenly took off.) So I have NO idea how it suddenly started working again, but there's definitely something going on. (I was actually going to swing by the mechanic on my way home anyway, since my car has been getting up to about 2.5 RMP thingies and then revving, instead of actually accelerating--so whatever they did yesterday clearly hadn't fixed the problem anyway.)

SO. That's the fantabulous conclusion to my stellar week.

7 comments:

keesh said...

Ditto to Nee...you are handeling like a trooper! So proud of you!

Mom said...

You mean RPM thingies? :-)

Mom said...

Your "About Me" section:

Hello, what about your family??

You could at least have MENTIONED us.

Your guinea pigs get a shout-out :-) but not us??

That's nice. :-(

Jen said...

Well my car is back....the transmission fluid was low from the leak that was fixed the other day, but other than that, they couldn't really find anything wrong. I went out for a drive with the owner and my car was acting totally fine, with none of the acceleration problems I've had the last few days. So, I guess all is well. And I wasn't charged anything extra, so that's good too.

Nik said...

LOL-- I don't mean to laugh at your misery, but that shit is funny! Especially the part about the car being fine when ya brought it in. I hope your week gets better.

Nik said...

Oh, I'm still checking out this thread, so you're not ranting to yourself Anna. Did ya get your car fixed?

Nik said...

But you got to go see Ireland, and that's all that matters (at least in my book anyways) lol