Saturday, September 10, 2005

I got to teach another lesson on Friday.

And other than accidentally punching a student in the eye, I think it went pretty well.

In my defense, I didn't MEAN to pop her.

I should have known it was going to be a rough afternoon when we had a fire drill in the middle of my lesson. But no big deal--I got everyone outside in a very organized and timely manner, and I was even able to get them back on task pretty quickly once we got back inside.

Towards the end of the lesson, an agreement was brought in that all 6th graders had to sign. Row by row, Mrs. R had the students quietly come up to the front of the room as I continued helping the other students. Everything was going fine until I gestured quite largely to make a point (I'm one of those people who talks with their hands)--and, as my hand (which was in a fist, for some reason) went back, I caught little K. in the eye. And it connected quite solidly, might I add. (If this had been a street fight, I totally would have won.)

I turned around and poor K. was clutching her eye. I gave her a hug and told her how sorry I was while looking at her eye. It was already a little red and puffy but she was otherwise okay. (She wasn't crying or anything; she was actually laughing, albeit somewhat dazedly.) I told her to go home and ice it, just in case. Hopefully, she won't come back to school on Monday with a shiner.

I feel HORRIBLE.

5 comments:

Fred said...

LOL! I had a stange one myself last week. I gave out lollipos to the class for kicking butt during a review game. One of the students cut her tongue on the lollipop, and was bleeding in class.

OMG - I thought I was going to be sued or something. She was laughing, so I decided to make all her troubles go away by offering some medicine - M&Ms. Suddenly, all was better.

Whew!

Jen said...

HOw does one cut her tongue on a lollipop??

keesh said...

Jen, wow. if you don't like the girl, fail her, don't hit her...:)

Nik said...

No better way to show those kids you won't take any bullshit from them Jen! You continue to amaze me. lol

Sum Kinda Princess said...

My husband's a teacher too. I think he has a few he'd like to punch.