Sunday, July 30, 2006

Your dash

My famous-author friend Lori is now blogging ('bout damn time), and she has a great post over there called "Make your dash matter." I hope you don't mind if I post part of it over here, Lori, because as I prepare to begin my first year of teaching, your words on this subject particularly resonate with me right now.

"Imagine your epitaph. Your birth date is right there, followed by the day you died. And in between...there's a dash. All your life is contained in that little symbol. It has nothing to do with math or word division and everything to do with the essence of you." She concludes with, "Everybody's dash is special and utterly unique. It can be a dash filled with adventure or acts of service or creativity or wondrous spine-tingling love. It can be whatever you want, if you're willing to make an effort." Amen, sista friend. Those are the words I will carry with me into this first year of teaching--and, I pray, every year to follow.

I put the link to Lori's blog over on the right...go there and read the rest of what she has to say on this subject. Need I remind you once again that she's a professional author? This woman will really get you thinking. Now git.

5 comments:

Jen said...

PS--grab a box of tissues before attempting to read "Goodbye to a good dog."

keesh said...

I love that whole dash thing. I have read it before. I think about it anytime I visit cemetaries, like I wonder how their dash was for them :)

Fred said...

I'm gittin'.

Nik said...

I promise to check out Lori's blog at some point, just not in the mood for heady, thought-provoking stuff right now. I'm loving the dash though-- very good stuff!

Madre said...

Well...I also talk about kissing a stingray. That's more weird than thought-provoking. It's just a blog of my thoughts about things I've seen or done. Jen's got way more life adventures, except maybe the stingray kissing experience. Then again, some of the guys she's kissed... But thanks for reading it, anybody who's peeked in. Kind of fun to have visitors.