Friday, July 21, 2006

Last post for a while (?)

Well, I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning. Dad IS going to be driving with me; he'll be here at 6 (!!!!) in the morning, which means I have to be up around 4:30 or 5. We hope to do the drive in two days; if all goes well, we'd like to go at LEAST as far as Atlanta the first day (Atlanta is about 10 hours from Ft. Myers, according to the roommate, which means that WE should hit it in about 11 hours, coming from Michigan).

My roommate does have a laptop, and I am bringing my computer, but I don't know how often I'll be able to hijack his laptop or how long it will take to get MY computer hooked up. I'll get back online as soon as I can (you know me). In the meantime, I can also go to the library for public internet access--assuming I can FIND the library, of course. If nothing else, I'll have regular access again once school begins in a couple of weeks.

So...wish me luck. I'll miss everyone very much. Leaving isn't easy by any means, especially since I've gotten so much closer to my sisters, nieces and nephews in the 7 months or so that I've been home. But as I said, this really won't be that much different than living in Detroit. I'll still come home just as frequently--only this time, my visits will be even longer. Sure, I won't be close enough to pop in for the occcasional impromptu weekend--but hell, I didn't really do that too often even when I WAS across the state.

I'm scared as hell--excited too, of course, but right now my paralyzing fear is pretty much overshadowing that part. Will I get along with the roommate? Will I suck as a teacher? Will I get lost driving to school one day and end up in North Carolina? How many kids will my sister Katey have by the time I come home again?

I'll check in as soon as I can. In the meantime, I expect Anna and Renee to make this blog interesting until I'm back up and running.

I love you guys!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I have an air mattress. Target had a sale a few weeks ago. Mattress AND pump for like $20.

keesh said...

Jen - I am more proud of you than you will ever know. It is so great to see you venture out and take a risk, I am envious in a way of your bravery! You will do great! teaching is in your blood cause when I heard you were going to be a teacher, I thought, "that is so fitting to her." I love ya and I will see your ass the next time you come home woman :)...

Jen said...

Um, Mis, I think it's called "Leaving on a jet plane." =-)

For those of you who know my mom: Episode 2006 is currently in progress.

I really will miss you guys, but hell, I'll be back for Thanksgiving. The time is going to FLY between now and then (well, for me anyway). =-)

Nik said...

I'm fuckin dying laughing over the Katey comments! Nee, I think you're spot on with your prediction too. lmao

I second what Renee said to you too, except for the crying stuff. Jen, everything's gonna be great and you'll prolly end up kicking yourself in the ass for not going down there a long time ago. You be safe and I'll email you that free phone number, since I forgot to give it to you. Be safe and I love you.

John Cowart said...

Welcome to Florida!
The red carpet is rolled out along I-75.
Relax about teaching here; Florida school kids seldom bite.

Mom said...

Missy -

That makes no sense. She's not flying and she'll be home for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Can't type any more cuz of the tears. The next episode is starting.