Thursday, July 27, 2006

A good day

I got a LOT done in my classroom today (my new, bigger classroom--they moved me, which is good news #2); I was the last teacher in the building but I'm in really good shape now. I have a feeling that will really come in handy next week, when everyone else is rushing to get their room done and I can focus on lesson planning. But best of all, I got a $1500 "raise." Yup, the new principal decided that she wanted to make our starting salaries more competitive, so I got bumped up.

On a less positive note, Mike (one of my team teachers) and I spent an hour and a half creating the middle school schedule, only to be informed by the principal, "Good news! We now have enough 6th graders on the waiting list to add another classroom!" That means, of course, that we have to scrap that schedule and create a new one...but it also means that I don't have to teach reading anymore; it will now be an entirely separate class (Mrs. T has gone back and forth on this about 4 times since I was hired, 2 of those since I've gotten to Florida). But (for now) I have 2 periods of 7th grade language arts and 3 for 6th grade, which means I only have to write two lesson plans each day.

I'm feeling a lot more centered, calm and ready.

4 comments:

keesh said...

Wow, this is all so great. I thought I wouldn't hear from you for months and you got on and hooked us all up like now :). thanks for keeping us in the loop. if you get a chance, please call Kacey. you really way on her heart and I know she would LOVE to hear from you. Even if you write her a letter, before school starts cause i think you will get so busy then :). I am still so proud of you and so happy for you! Keep us posted and good luck! if you want my teacher friends phone # or anything let me know. She would be happy to answer any questions about teaching :).

John Cowart said...

Wow. A pay raise already. See, I told you you'd like Florida.

Nik said...

I'm not gonna post comments on all of this last week's posts, you're just gonna get a response to all of it here.

I'm so glad that you made it there safe and sound. The place looks beautiful and the bathroom looks kick ass! lol See all that worrying you did and things are going just great for you. A frickin pay raise already?!?! That's just badass. Oh and the roomie's looking pretty cute too. We're definately gonna have to get down there and play sometime. Hope you're finding your way around there and getting a better sense of direction. Best of luck with school starting soon and I love you.

BTW, those rats you gave the boys frickin reek and they're loud as hell. Oh and the bigger one is a total bitch, she's always attacking the black one. I wanna kick her ass, but I haven't figured out how to kick a rat's ass yet.

Jen said...

Of course they're loud. They're guinea pigs. They squeak. =-) And they dont stink if you clean the cage out. Sorry it's not working out so well though.