Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Frank the Tank

I finally got to talk to my new roommate on the phone tonight. I think it's safe to say that we're going to get along just fine. We talked for over an hour and a half and only hung up because he had to get up early for work tomorrow. We had a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to getting down there and hanging out with him.

Which, by the way, may be occuring a few days earlier than I originally planned. At first, I was going to work through July 21 (a Friday), take the weekend to finish up last-minute packing (which, for me, is generally "all of it") and see the family one last time before I headed out on Monday. However, for a variety of reasons, I maybe now be leaving on July 22 (Saturday), to arrive there on Sunday night--which means I'd have to make my last day at work a few days earlier, but whatever. That way, I can get into my new school a few days sooner; my dad won't have to take QUITE as many vacation days since we'll be starting on the weekend; and my mom will have an entire weekend to have "an episode" before returning to work on Monday. Plus, we'll have weekend traffic instead of weekday traffic (on second thought, I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus). However, the motel rates (for the overnight stay) will be somewhat higher on the weekend--plus I'll lose an entire weekend at home. That means I'll only have two weekends left before I leave--this weekend and next. Holy shit.

So I'm not for SURE yet, but with my original plan, I wouldn't actually be making it into my new school till Thursday, so I'd be losing almost the whole week. This way, I'll only miss Monday (because let's face it, after two 11-hour driving days, getting there on Sunday evening and staying up for a while to talk to/meet my new roommate--not to mention unpacking and getting settled--I don't think I'll be making it into the work the morning after I arrive). And plus, this weekend travel might work better for Dad's schedule, so....

7 comments:

Nik said...

It's cool that you and the new roomie get along, sounds like it'll be good times. You MUST come and play with us this weekend if this is your plan. I'm making it a law right now and there's no way around it, so you're coming with us. Besides, with all the BS going around lately, we could all use a nice,stiff drink (or 40).

John Cowart said...

God bless your dad!
Having moved my own sons and daughters to college, new apartments, new towns, and back again and again over the years, I feel for him.
The guy's a hero to drive with you that long and that far! Say hi to him for me.

keesh said...

It is the least her Dad can do for her :)...just my opinion, but hey, i know the guy so...

Jen said...

well and he was going that general way to see his parents in Daytona, so at least I'm not putting him TOTALLY out of his way, but still,it'll be a HUGE help.

Jen said...

Why, Anna? You wanna come over and play?

Renee will be in town tomorrow (Sat).

Jen said...

His myspace picture is "Frank the Tank," from Old School.

Jen said...

And FYI, guys, he likes Air Supply TOO. Tell me that this isn't a match made in roommate heaven.