Monday, July 03, 2006

An impossible task

I am currently going through my 300 books and attempting to put them into one of three categories:

1) Books I definitely want to take with me
2) Books I want to keep but have to stay behind for now
3) Books I'm going to sell/donate/etc (notice I said "going to," not "want to")

It has proven to be extremely difficult for an avid--some would say obsessed--reader like me to assign any book into one of the three categories. In fact, one bout of vomiting has already occured (although I think that was due more to my choking on dust molecules.)

Mind you, I already got rid of the "definitely don't want" books before I moved back home, so the books I had left were books that, in theory, I definitely wanted in my possession. However, I'm really trying to "clean house," make a fresh start, etc. It's silly to keep books in storage, that realistically, I am never going to read. (I have quite a few books that look good on my shelf--Hemmingway, for example, or Toni Morrison--that I've tried to get into and just COULDN'T. I've kept them more to impress anyone who might happen to scan the titles on my bookshelves.)

I've been a reader for as long as I can remember. I don't mean that I've known HOW to read. Just knowing how to read doesn't make one a "reader." I mean, I've possessed a genuine love of reading and books. So much so that when Missy asked me (sarcasticly, smart-assedly and rhetorically, not REALLY expecting an answer, how far the library was from my new apartment, I immediately answered, "8.2 miles." It's fitting, therefore, that my first teaching job is a language arts and reading position. I'm thrilled to be able to teach a subject that I care so much about. I know that not all students love to read; in fact, I'm aware that some outright hate it. And those are the students I'm eager to have, because if I can make THEM like my class, then I know I'm doing something right.

1 comment:

Jen said...

yeah i'm taking the books with me to use for my (meager) classroom library. I've been collecting a few books--oddly, middle school aged, so I guess this is where I was meant to end up. =-) I have one box full of books for them. I havent checked into it yet tho, maybe this week. But really, I'm in now hurry to get those books down there, not right now, seeing as how I dont even have a bookcase for them yet or anything.