Monday, January 01, 2007

An awesome New Years Eve

So if you were jealous about the beautiful Florida weather, you're REALLY going to hate this little story.

Since so many teachers weren't coming back into town until today, my plan of ringing in the new year with them was derailed. So I made alternate plans--a first date with someone I had been talking to on Match.com. We had actually been "talking" most of the 2 weeks I was back in Michigan and were pretty excited about hanging out in person. Yes, it was pretty ballsy to make our first date on NYE--if we didn't get along, we'd have to a) either find a graceful way to bow out of the rest of the evening or b) spend it with someone we didn't really like. However, we were pretty sure that, at the very least, we'd hit it off as friends.

We had dinner at Outback (we started at 5), went to the movies, had some drinks--and then decided to go to the beach. Yes, my friends, I rang in the new year sitting on the beach, looking out over the Gulf. We had a bottle of champage and a couple of wine glasses. Yes, there was a kiss at midnight (and many before that, actually) and right as we pulled apart the fireworks starting going off over the water. It was like a freakin' movie.

Anyway, it was my favorite NYE ever. Chris was a part of that, obviously, but mostly cuz it was just such a perfect way to start my first full year in Florida, you know? The weather was perfect, the sky was clear...it was SO different from a cold night in Michigan. I had on just jeans and a sweatshirt (there was a breeze coming off of the water) and I was very comfortable.

Oh--he's 33, a principal (not mine) ;) , recently divorced, a former language arts teacher, loves 80s music and The Outsiders...so yeah, we have a few things in common. ;) We hung out again tonight.

We'll see if anything comes of it. In the meantime: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8 comments:

Fred said...

Jen loves Florida.
Jen loves Florida.
Jen loves Florida.

Happy New Year, Jen. Good luck with your budding friendship.

keesh said...

That is wonderful!! If anyone deserves a "fairytale" New Years, it is you! I hope things work out for you!

keesh said...

Does he have any children?

Jen said...

2 daughters, 8 and 10

Jen said...

But don't get too excited about this cuz he JUST got divorced and I'm sure doesn't want to get into a "thing" right away. We can date, though.

keesh said...

I am not too excited, just want you to be happy and enjoy yourself. as long as he is honest with you. you seem to have been misled in the past from other guys and I just want this one to keep the communication lines open...

Jen said...

He sent me a text msg saying he was thinking about me (he's big on texting...I've already had to sign up for the t-mobile texting plan, I've gotten so many from him in the last few days...figured I'd just pay an extra $5 a month instead of per-message)

Madre said...

Champagne and kisses on a beach at midnight with fireworks. I should put this into a book! Sounds dreamy, Jen. I've never had such an evening. Enjoy!