Tuesday, January 02, 2007

This is Spinal Tap (like I could name this post anything else)

Going back to the hospital in a few for my spinal tap (otherwise known as lumbar puncture, or LP). I was there earlier for some blood tests and ran home because I had a little over an hour to kill. Was going to take a shot or two while I'm here to help relax me but I don't know if that can affect anything, namely my blood thickness or thinness (the blood tests were to determine said "density" of my blood, which I guess they need to know before they go in).

I am so nervous that I'm dizzy, shaking and nauseous. People on the MS message board I've been reading all assure me that it's not nearly as bad as I'm anticipating, that it USED to be a lot worse before they started numbing you and stuff. However, last night was the worst night of sleep I've had EVER, and that includes the night I went into labor.

So: LP at 1; I'll be in recovery from 2 to 3 or so, at which point some teacher friends will be coming to drive me home (the numbing works basically like an epidural, which will then affect my ability to drive). I have to lay down the rest of the day and night to prevent some kind of horrible side effect called a spinal headache or something, but from what I understand I CAN go to work tomorrow, although I'll double check when I go back.

Cannot remember the last time I was this terrified.

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh--to add insult to injury, I had to pay **$250** to have this thing done, since it's a new year and therefore a new insurance deductible. Bastards.

11 comments:

Madre said...

It's 1:00 and you're having the LP now. I'm sending prayers right this minute.

Jen said...

Yeah, spinal taps suck.

I was less than strong and stoic, to say the least. Highlights include starting to cry as soon as they called my name,and then walking into the room, seeing everything laid out and passing out.

Yeah, good times.

Once I got on the bed, though, I sucked it up and was okay. It hurt, for sho', but it wasn't, like, AGONIZING. I let loose a string of naughty words when the needle went in, and when they were done I had sweat dripping down my face and my hands were all clammy, but otherwise I kept my dignity. (I did better than the guy they wheeled out into recovery after me, at least, who kept moaning to his girlfriend how much it hurt and kept telling the nurses about his "pain level." I mean, yeah, it hurt, but at least I was able to take the pain quietly with the occasional wince and grimmace. I was sitting there, eating my sandwich and watching my CNN, thinking, Dude, SHUT UP. Of course, he probably didn't pass out pre-LP, so I guess he was afforded a bit of post-LP whining.)

Anyway, it's done. I have to lay down for the rest of the afternoon and night and drink lots of fluids, but I should be good to go in the morning.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts and prayers. It was really just this 2-week buildup that made it so bad, I think. I had too much time to build it up in my head so that when I finally went in, I was just petrified.

(When the nurse found out that I had four tattoos AND had gone skydiving, she was like, "And you passed out over this?!" It was kind of funny.)

keesh said...

I am proud of you for handeling it like a trooper :). I will keep praying for you in the future as you get the results. Love ya girl!

Jen said...

i wouldnt call it "bein a trooper", but ok. ;)

John Cowart said...

Damn but this sounds rough!
I'm sorry you are having to go through all this stuff.
Endure.

Jen said...

Now that I have that out of the way, I'm good.

=-)

The mental/emotional stuff I can handle. It's the PHYSICAL that freaks me out

Mom said...

I wish I could have been there too, to be your rock.

Jen said...

Yeah, I read Mom's comment like 20 minutes ago and I'm STILL laughing.

Nik said...

Okay, so when will there be some definitive answers to this?

Sorry that you had to go through with that, but ya did better than I imagined you would.

Jen said...

they said the results could be in next week, but my next appt isnt till the end of jan. so i'm gonna call my dr. next week and see if they can tell me anything over the phone

Jen said...

PS, but remember, the answers may not be definitive, because people can have MS and still have the LP come back neg. However, if the LP comes back positive, then THAT'S pretty definite.