Wednesday, January 17, 2007

No MS--for now (Abbreviated from email)

So I got a call from the neuro's office today. Based on the results of the spinal tap (LP), he doesn't think it's MS. It's all kinds of technical, but the levels of different things aren't what they would typically be for MS. Now, as we all know, nothing about me is typical (ha ha), but for now he's crossing MS off the list.

So what now? Good question. My next neurologist appt is in a month and we go from there. It's basically a matter of going down his list and testing for the various things that could be causing these spots/lesions on my brain. I don't even know exactly what the various options/possibilities are, to be honest, since there are a ton of diseases that can "mimic" MS.

BROKEN ROAD EXCLUSIVE: NEW INFO THAT WASN'T IN THE GROUP EMAIL: I posted a question about my LP results on this "Ask Yahoo" thing, and this guy who claimed to be an ER doc responded; I asked him what else it could be if it's not MS and he responded, "Apart from MS (demyelination) the spots in the left parietal lobe of the brain could represent: infection, inflammatory changes (eg. vasculitis), migrainous white matter disease, post-traumatic changes (thrombotic changes - multiple small lacunar infarcts)."

Yeah, I have no idea what that means, either.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Well according to the MS message boards (who are the true experts as far as I'm concerned, cuz they've all been there), I'm not out of the woods yet. I posted a follow up about what the doc said and how I guessed I wasn't joining their ranks, and I got a TON of replies basically saying "Not so fast...my doc said *I* didn't have MS for year." I guess because it sometimes takes a while to get to the dx stage (with symptoms showing up, test results being positive etc)

So it's basically a big ol' waiting game, as we know...but they said that I could go through all these tests for this OTHER stuff, and it'll all come back negative cuz it IS MS and just isn't "registering" yet.

THAT would suck, to come back to this exact spot in like 2 years or something.