Saturday, October 08, 2005

We survived the walk.

Our Making Strides walk was today, and it was very succesful. Thousands of walkers participated. After a stretch of 80-degree, sunny days, we got a cloudy, 50-degree day. I wore a lot of clothes and by the end of the walk, I was shedding layers like a damn boa constrictor.

Anna and I were able to keep up a pretty good clip during the whole walk and once we reached the end, I realized that 5 miles wasn't TOO bad, after all.

There were people set up at various points to cheer us on (I actually chided one man for not being "peppy enough," which did inspire an odd jumping-jack-type movement out of him), and Girl Scouts were handing out bottled water and, at the end, animal crackers and granola bars.

We went out for lunch afterwards; FOUR SOLDIERS sat down at the table across from us, so you all KNOW that I had to say something to them. (They actually spoke to us first; they saw our shirts and asked if we had participated. When we told them yes, one hero actually thanked US for doing it. That's when I, of course, thanked THEM.)

All in all, it was a lovely day, topped off by an equally lovely nap once I got home. We got done a little after 11, and we weren't even CLOSE to being the last ones done (not that it was a race, of course, but as a matter of pride, I wanted to keep up a fairly decent pace during the whole course).

Thank you, Renee, Fred and Rich, for contributing--and to everyone for supporting us.

8 comments:

Fred said...

You're very welcome. I gave in memory of my friend Lois from high school, and my best man's wife, who just recently recovered from breast cancer surgery.

Thanks again.

keesh said...

Ok, that was a teary eyed moment. Great job girls! It is always nice to do something positive for a great cause!

Nik said...

Way to go Jen and Anna! I wish you'd have let me know a bit sooner, so I could have given you some $. At any rate, that's so awesome of you 2 to help out, bug ups to ya!

Jen said...

Rob was trying to hook up?! That's so...UNLIKE him!

(Told ya it was good movie.)

Jen said...

LoB, I did see the "In Memory of Laura" on my site. In fact, if you go there and look to the right under "Honor Roll," you should see all my donors scrolling by, along with any messages they included (assuming it's still up).

And I wasn't even SORE the next day or anything.

However, for someone who is losing weight and exercising, I STILL have quite an "inner thigh situation" going on.

Jen said...

LOL Anna, you did just fine. Shush. You know you're in great shape.

Jen said...

Hahahhahah.

No, seriously, I have an issue now.

Mom said...

Great job!