Friday, October 07, 2005

From the mouths of (incredibly wordly) babes.

As some of you are aware, T. (my soldier) and I are talking again. I received an apology message from him a little over a week ago, and although things aren't back to how they were, they're definitely getting better. (Right now, we're both treading somewhat carefully.) However, he DID say that I could now officially wear the "half my heart is in Iraq" necklace that I ordered shortly before our, um, whatever the hell that was.

Anyway, my students are incredibly observant and notice the slightest change in my appearance from day to day, and several of them have commented on my necklace. I just say that "a very good friend" of mine is over there right now.

Today, Jacob asked, as I was passing out papers, "Where in Iraq is your boyfriend stationed?"

I said, "Well, he's not really my boyfriend...but he's in Tikrit...and he'll be home next month."

Then, this *sixth grader*, this 11 year old, WINKS AT ME KNOWINGLY and says, "And THEN you'll make him your boyfriend, huh, Miss K?" (He says this in a voice full of worldly wisdom.)

I just laughed and said, "I'll see what I can do, Jacob," and kept going.

8 comments:

keesh said...

I told you there was more than meets the eye with T. I mean, it has to be hard over there. My step uncle is over there driving fuel trucks and he said you can't even imagine what goes on and he doesn't even see half of what the military sees. I just know that my Dad was in Vietnam and has never been the same. He use to have back flashes, and night terrors and night sweats, now the sound of a helicopter makes him cry. it is scary what these men have to see for our freedom.

Fred said...

Cute. Congrats on the warming relationship.

Mom said...

Renee -

WHO??

Mom said...

Ex-squeeze me?

I thought *I* ordered it.

Jen said...

Mom: Me. =-)

Oh wait, no, I waited till 9th.

And Mom...I am very sad to say, I lost that necklace during the walk. Don't order another one, though--the latch was bad. It was a hook thing but didn't really have a "closure." I knew it was only a matter of time before it fell off.

Jen said...

She did?! Even *I* didn't start that young.

Mom said...

Jen -

what about the other necklace? I got you 1 with a flag and 1 with a heart.

Jen said...

I sent one to his mom.