Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Thoughts and prayers

They found the bodies of those two US soldiers who were recently missing in Iraq. Unforunately, they weren't just killed, they were tortured. Quite severely, it appears. Reading this article (I'm including an excerpt below), it makes me sick--physically ill to my stomach--to think of what these young men (23 and 25; of them, I believe, had an 18 year old wife) must have gone through. I can't even imagine the horror of their final hours and minutes. I just hope that God was with them, and that they're with Him now (but frankly, I can't imagine how even God could have comforted them in the midst of something like that).

I DREAD the details of this that will undoubtedly come out in the next few days and weeks.

Maj. Gen. William B. Caldwell IV, the American military spokesman, said "the remains" of what are believed to be the two Americans were found near a power plant in the vicinity of Yusefiya, about three miles from the site were they had been captured by insurgents.

General Caldwell declined to speak in detail about the physical condition of those who had been found, but said that the cause of death could not be determined. He said the remains of the men would be sent to the United States for DNA testing to determine definitively their identities. That seemed to suggest that the two Americans had been wounded or mutilated beyond recognition.

"We couldn't identify them," the American military official in Baghdad said.

Maj. Gen. Abdul Azziz Mohammed Jassim, the chief of operations of the Ministry of Defense, said that he had seen an official report and that he could confirm the two Americans had been "killed in a very brutal way and tortured."

"There were traces of torture on their bodies, very clear traces," General Jassim said. "It was a brutal torture. The torture was something unnatural."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/world/20cnd-iraq.html

4 comments:

Jen said...

I know. I've been thinking a lot about their friends and their family. Thousands of our soldiers have been killed so far, and don't get me wrong, it's heartbreaking and gut wrenching for each and every family. But, after reading this story, I realize that--I mean, at least some of those families have the "comfort," for lack of a better word, of knowing that their loved one was killed quickly, instantly and PAINLESSLY--by an IED for example. I can't even imagine what these guys' families are going through as more details come out.

Jen said...

Yeah, I dont know if anything was ON the bodies, but there were landmines and stuff all AROUND the bodies, so it took like 12 hours to actually be able to retrieve them.

Nik said...

Not to start an argument or anything, but who are you to "speak" on behalf of God (whichever god these people believe in)? It's not up to you, or anybody else for that matter, to tell anyone that their god is disappointed in them, I think God will deal with that, not you.
Oh and she's entitled to feel sad and angry about whoever she wants to, again not your place to tell her that what she feels is wrong.

Jen, I'm sorry to put this out here and if this causes an issue, I apologize right now.

Jen said...

Nik, YOU'RE fine.

If that's how he sees things, that's fine. I, however, stand behind our men and women 100%, and I thank them for defending our freedom of speech, which allows people like him to post asinine comments like that.