Friday, June 09, 2006

HOLY HELL

I have just discovered that most of the cover letters I've been sending out have included the following line:

"After working in the advertising/ pubic relations field for several years, I decided to follow my dream of becoming a teacher."

Once you're done laughing hysterically and wiping the tears from your eyes, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL I DO NOW. Do I:

1) Send a revised cover letter/resume with no mention of my previous typo?

2) Send a revised cover letter/resume with a note stating something to the effect of, "After discovering a typo in my previous cover letter, I would like to resubmit my materials." OR

3) Pretty much write off the districts I've already applied to and just move on in the future with my new, typo-free letter?

And for the record, I've read this letter I don't know HOW many times, and so have a few other people, including my mom (because they always say to have outside people read your letter and resume, for this exact reason--to catch typos that your own eyes will miss, since your mind reads words the way they're SUPPOSED to be)--and no one has caught this MOST unfortunate mistake.

HOLY HELL. I am mortified. This is NOT GOOD.

6 comments:

Edward said...

If it were me...

I would send a letter explaining that while pubic relations was a hobby of yours, you meant to list public relations on the professional side of your resume.

This does two things in my mind: 1) it shows that you are thorough, and b) that you have a certain depth of personality not visible in print.

And I would send it for a few reasons: a) they've either missed your error (most likely) and put aside your resume for whatever reason, or 2) they caught your answer and frowned piously at your typo (least likely). Either way, you don't have an offer and no harm is done in giving them a second look at your resume. At worst you still don't have an offer. At best you strike someone the right way and get a call.

Then again, I am not looking for job.

Edward said...

OTOH, teacher sex scandals being on the rise you are taking a big chance.

Yeah, disregard my last.

keesh said...

J- did you send this to the school I referred you to? Oh my gosh. how funny! I say to send a revised letter...not sure if you should mention the mistake or not.

Jen said...

Kish, NO--that's how I found the mistake, though, working on the letter for that school.

Jen said...

Yeah...someone else suggested that if I do send another one, maybe I can revamp the whole look of it, too, so they totally don't associate the new one with my old one.

Nik said...

I'm still giggling my ass off about this one. It's too damn funny! And the comments make this even better.


LoB-- if she's in pubic relations, shouldn't they be sending her the money? hehehe