Thursday, May 18, 2006

Second interview!!!

I received the call today inviting me to come in for a second interview for My Dream Job. It's this Tuesday at 4:00.

The problem is, though, that now I'll HAVE to tell my current employer that I'm interviewing. Monday's interview was first thing in the morning, so I just told work that I had a doctor's appointment and I might be a little late (I got there at 10 instead of my usual start time of 9:30, so that wasn't too bad). However, for this one, I'd have to leave pretty early--2:00 or so, if I wanted time to go home, shower, change, freshen up, etc. And, since I normally work till 6:30, that's a good half of my shift that I'd be missing. Ordinarily this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I had been able to give them more notice--like a week or two. But to come in on Friday and tell them that I have to leave early on Tuesday...I'll have to give them a pretty good reason for my short notice.

Another teacher has been interviewing for "real" teaching jobs, and she's been up-front and honest with our bosses about it. So if she can do it, I suppose I can, too. I mean, I also have a dentist appointment next week, on Thursday--again, at 8:30, so if I'm late to work at all it won't be by TOO much....but I'm running out of "cover stories" that I could potentially use to cover up this second interview.

What do we think? I'd have to have a pretty good reason, and at this point, honesty just might be the best policy.

5 comments:

Nik said...

Oooh, I'll keep my fingers crossed and send ya some major good luck vibes.

Definately go the honesty route. Lying only leads to bigger problems eventually. They may be a bit disappointed to hear the news that you're looking, but most people are pretty understanding. Besides, who could fault anyone for trying to better their situation?

Jen said...

So I shouldn't just call in sick, which was going to be my plan B?

keesh said...

Yeah, tell them the truth. lying always comes back to bite you in the ass. My Mother can attest to that. Oops, did I say that outloud ;).

keesh said...

You could call in sick Jen but if this job leads to a 3rd interview or you get other interviews, calling in sick will just bite you in the butt. better be upfront right away...

Jen said...

OK well before I left for break, I went in and told her what was up. It went pretty smoothly actually. I explained that the only way I'd be leaving is if I got a full-time teaching job for the fall, but that other than that I really did like my job and was happy there. So it seems to be okay.