Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Employee of the Month

At tonight's staff meeting, it was announced that I was the latest Employee of the Month.

Missy asked me this weekend, "Is it really that bad?", after I regaled her with stories of the f**kers otherwise known as MY kids. Yes, yes it is--and here's why.

After the meeting, I was talking to some of the other teachers about my new title (which comes with a $25 gift card to wherever I want--so feel free to post some suggestions here. The only limitation is that it can't be a "specialty" store, like Barnes and Noble--dammit--but other stores, like WalMart, and most restaurants are okay. So far, I'm thinking either the Dollar Store or Walmart so I can use it on care package stuff for my soldiers)....wait. Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah.

Some of the other teachers were congratulating me after the meeting (each month, the other teachers are the ones who vote for EOTM), and I commented on being surprised at receiving the award this month.

"Are you kidding?" said one. "You have the kids that nobody else wants. And you KEEP COMING BACK. And you're in there from 9:30 - 6:30 EVERY DAY. I couldn't do it, Jen. I don't know how you do."

So yeah. Just the fact that I keep showing up every day was enough to make me the most valued employee in the building this month. (And, for the record, although I routinely refer to them as f**ckers, they're really growing on me, even though I've been drinking a lot more since I started this job. I actually take a sense of pride in being the teacher who can handle the kids that "nobody else wants." I feel like that chick from Dangerous Minds.)

7 comments:

John Cowart said...

It's great about your award. You deserve it. Showing up counts.

Edward said...

Showing up is important. You must show up mentally in addition to physically -- a trait that is sure to gain you favorable attention in any field.

Jen said...

And apparently my new title comes with new trust and responsibility, because after my break here, I'm going shopping, armed with the official company credit card, to get some stuff for the center. Sweet.

Mom said...

Yeah, I'm with Anna, put it on your resume and when the interviwers ask about it don't say, "Oh, I only got it cuz I show up every day."

Mom said...

But you can get more for $25 at WalMart or the Dollar Store than you can at Target.

Nik said...

LMAO-- about the Dangerous Minds reference (I keep picturing you and Coolio in a smoke-filled room, filming the vid for "Gangsta's Paradise")

Anyways, although the way the other teacher's put it, it doesn't seem like it's much of an honour, but you should be proud of yourself.

Wal-Mart sucks ass-- there's my vote (or non-vote, really) lol

Jen said...

Wow, Renee. Okay, I'll get my gift card at Target, mostly cuz I'm scared NOT to now. ;)