Sunday, May 28, 2006

Jello and ice cream, STAT!

I hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend.

I seem to have caught a "touch of the flu." It hit me like a mack truck on Thursday night at work--I started throwing up at 5 that evening and didn't stop until Friday afternoon around 2. (And I'm talking EVERY TEN MINUTES, guys.) I'm sparing you a lot of the details here, but suffice it to say that vomiting was not my only gastrointestinal "distress." ;) I called the doctor for some anti-nausea meds, but, of course, I couldn't keep them in my system long enough for them to work.

The throwing up stopped for a while on Saturday and I was even able to work my way up to foods like ice cream, toast and broth. (Mind you, by this time I had lost SEVEN POUNDS since Thursday night, putting me at a weight not seen since high school. My face was looking CHISELED.) But something happened and it started all over again. By this time, my stomach was just a mess from going through this for three days, I wasn't sleeping, and I was dizzy and weak. So Steve (because by this time, Mom had it too) took me to the E.R.

My blood pressure, it turns out, was **71/39.** Yeah, that's really low. LOL. "Holy crap," the nurse actually said to me. Apparently, I was quite dehydrated. So they pumped a whole lot of liquids into me, gave me morphine for the pain (whoo hoo!), put some meds into my IV line to stop the puking and sent me home around 6 this morning. The E.R. was actually short-staffed last night because I guess the nursing staff had it, too. (MY nurse, aka Holy Crap, had just gotten over it herself--she had it for FOUR DAYS.)

Finally, FINALLY, I am starting to feel better again. Plus, I got to take home a presciption for Darvacet, since my stomach muscles are still so bruised and sore from--well, I'll spare you the details on that one, too, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

As I write this, it's 3:00 on Sunday afternoon, and I think I'm going to take a shower and get out there and do SOMETHING, so I can still enjoy the last two days of my holiday weekend--looking oh-so-slim, of course. ;)

(Renee, I hope Sara's back up and around by now, too.)

6 comments:

Fred said...

I think you should call your ex, tell him you have some of his stuff, then throw up all over him.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jen said...

LOL...good idea, Fred.

You have a great weekend too!

Jen said...

You had a great time where, up at his parents? (That's where you went, right?) Tell me about your weekend! I have to live vicariously through all of you, so I'd like detailed reports on everyone's activities please. I met Missy for lunch today and I went up to Katey's later, we had a little cookout and went to this mini-beach...oh, and I went to Blockbuster yesterday, and the store, LOL.

John Cowart said...

This sounds horrible.
Hope it's not contageous???
Can I catch it by exposure to your blog????
Bye now, I'll check back in a week or so.

Jen said...

LOL John

Mom said...

Fred-

I like the way you think!!!