Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Hey, could we get a little MORE drama up in here?

I'm going to register to vote today (I've always been registered, but I have to officially change my address and get registered at my new location) and, frankly, I'm torn. I've declared myself as an independent, though I generally vote Democrat; however, in this election, I keep going back and forth. For example, the abortion issue is a big one to me (I believe they should remain legal and that every woman should be able to decide for herself what she wants to do; just because *I* wouldn't have one doesn't mean that NO woman should be able to have one) and, if Bush is elected, there's a good chance that Roe v. Wade would be overturned--not by him directly, but by the Supreme Court justices that this next President will most likely appoint in the coming term. (Bush is notoriously pro-life and will appoint justices that share his point ov view.) However, I don't know if I should base my vote solely on that one issue. Is that wrong? Granted, I've read both candidates' platforms at their respective websites and I agree with a lot of what Kerry has to say--but shit, a candidate's plan and platform always SOUND good. Whether or not they actually follow through on them is something else entirely.

So, I was just wondering:

1) Do you consider yourself Republican, Democratic or Independent?
2) What issues are most important to you in this election season?
3) Are you voting based on party alone (for example, you're Republican so you're voting Republican), or are you looking at specific issues?

I don't want to bash anyone for their choice of candidate; I'm just trying to get a more balanced picture of both sides to aid in making my decision. So let's have a lively yet respectful dialogue, shall we?

No comments: