Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Target bans Salvation Army

I heard on the news this morning that Target won't allow the Salvation Army Bell Ringers this Christmas season!

The reason given by both the Target Corp's representative on National Public Radio this morning and by the representative at Target when I called was that Target wants to stick closer to their non-solicitation policy. They had always made an exception for the Salvation Army but won't be making any exceptions from now on.
Bell Ringers outside Target stores raised the second largest total amount of money for the Salvation Army last year. (Walmart raised the most.) This is going to hit the Salvation Army and the people they help hard in a year when money for charities and non-profits continues to be cut and more Americans are living in poverty than in many years before. I think this is so sad in a time when people need to help each other more than ever.

Target's always been one of my favorite stores! I didn't believe it until I called the corporate office and asked myself. I'm not sure what to do.

Jen, what do your Salvation Army grandparents have to say about this?
Renee, what do you and your family think about this?

No comments: