Monday, September 06, 2004

Where To Start, Even?

Hope everyone had a swell Labor Day weekend. We had a big family get-together thing at my in-laws' cottage this weekend, for many reasons:
1) They're leaving for Florida for the "winter" on Sept. 15, in spite of all the hurricanes
2) John's mom's birthday was on the 1st
3) John's brother's (we'll call him Todd, since that's his name) birthday was on the 4th
4) His wife's birthday is on the 11th
5) Our (SIXTH) anniversary is on the 12th
And finally,
6) Todd is a career Army man, and his unit was activated just recently. They will be leaving on Nov. 11 for... I can't remember the name of his camp, but it's between Faluja and Baghdad; not such a great place to be :-( Thank GOD he's a computer guy. He's pretty sure that's what he'll be doing over there, but it's not a guarantee. A group of engineers he works with were sent over as M.P.'s :-(

He didn't go to the meeting last week where they get all their information (who needs to go to THAT anyway?) cuz one of his kids had a soccer game. So unfortunately, I'm not laden with details, but it's very sad. He has a wife of 13 years and three boys, ages 8, 10 and 12... Ugh, I'm just sick over it! I cannot FATHOM the heartache. And he (most likely) won't even be home for CHRISTMAS!

However, John's family is not outwardly emotional; I was the only one who cried about it this weekend... at least in front of anyone :-) I just can't stop thinking about our nephews without their dad for that long (one year min., two years max.). It's killing me.

So anyway. It was, for the most part, a happy weekend, despite this being the last time we'll all be together again until he gets back. John, Todd and their dad went golfing in the morning, which was followed by much food (always a good thing) and just talking and stuff. The boys just ADORE Brent and play with him constantly. They bought him a little fishing pole so they could teach him how to fish (while I was in the shower this morning, Brent caught his first fish all by himself; hooked it and reeled it in and everything. Daddy had to take it off the hook, though cuz "it's all wiggly and slippery").

They played with him in the shallow water, and when they wanted to go deeper, they put him in a tube and gave him rides in the water. At one point, they were at the end of the dock, and the youngest one picked Brent up to plop him into the tube and accidentally dropped him in the lake. He was wearing a life jacket, so he only went under for a second, but it scared the holy hell out of him for a few minutes. About a half hour later, I asked him if he wanted something to drink and he said "No thanks, I just already took a big drink of the lake when I fell in, so I'm not thirsty right now". LOLOLOL. It was hilarious.

Alright, I know I've written a book. I mainly just wanted to let everyone know about Todd and ask that you keep him (and family) in your thoughts. Thanks!

Renee

No comments: