Sunday, October 14, 2007

Just another manic Sunday

You Bangles' (the group, not the team) fans will get what I did there with the title. I thought it was pretty clever. ;)

Anyway...just a week or so after Dave and I got back together, I'm a bit "up." ("You picked a helluva time to come back," I told him.) I'm okay but this whole weekend I've been out of whack.

He could tell as soon as I walked through the door yesterday. I was telling him about my day and it quickly became apparent. Here's what I've been to:

1) Was up all night on Friday
2) Was back up at 8 am on Sat. (and for those who truly know me, THAT'S a red flag right there
3) Was on the computer all night, doing research for colleges, setting up my online billpay through Fifth Third (who DOESN'T do that at 3 am), and playing on eBay (see #4)
4) Went on a bit of a spending spree on eBay but nothing that will really hurt me; it'll just make things a little tighter this month. I told Dave I "bought some shoes" on eBay, but something about the way I said it grabbed his attention. "How many?" he asked.
5) We were watching The Sopranos when I felt the need to clean, RIGHT NOW. Cleaned his kitchen floors--which, of course, is another deviation for me, LOL
6) Talking really quickly (which was the first thing he noticed)
7) Was online in the middle of the night on Sat while he was in bed (P.R. stuff--in fact, I got 2 parties booked)
8) Was up again this morning at 7 after sleeping a few hours

Still, he was great. He was patient with me and enjoyed our night and just stayed on alert for any signs of worsening. We didn't go out and I limited myself to one glass of wine. We played Monopoly to keep my mind busy and I got him to go out for a walk with me, too, which helped. All in all, it was okay. Plus, he got to see how relatively easy it is to keep me just a bit hyper and not UberCrazyBitch.

I was due (every 3 months, it happens) but this WAS a mild one, really--and once I'm on the meds longer, they won't come as often (I hope). As it is, this was just a "hypomanic" thing and not a full blown episode.

I gotta tell you, guys--recognizing the symptoms as soon as they start, knowing what to do about it, recognizing and avoiding things that can set me off or make it worse....it's AWESOME. Why didn't I do this sooner?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you're manically productive! I kinda wish I could have a little of that every 3 months.
It's good that you could see the signs and basically keep it under control. I'm glad Dave was ok through it.
So, are you REALLY tired after not sleeping all weekend? I'm still surprised that I never noticed this kind of thing when I was with you.

keesh said...

anna, you were totally with her before? :)....

anyway, glad to hear you catch this a lot sooner and it passes quickly. Sounds like you and Dave should both be very proud of yourselves!

Renee said...

LOL at your title, Jen. And LOL Anna :-)

It's good to hear that you're recognizing your symptoms early on AND are *better* able to control your actions (lol, how many shoes DID you buy?). Really, though, not everyone CAN do that-- John's uncle would go buy multiple cars and lots of jewelry for his nonexistent girlfriends when he has manic episodes-- so it's great that you're able to. And I hope Dave continues to be as supportive and involved as he was on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

so that's why you needed your bday money early?

Jen said...

No, Mom. I really didn't buy that many pairs.

Relatively speaking.

Jen said...

PS Anna--Joelle was shocked to hear stories about me, too, and couldn't believe it--until one day she was rihgt in the middle of it. I think one key thing wiht us, Anna, is that since alcohol is such a HUGE trigger for me--sure, we'd go "Riding the Pony", but it was just for a couple after work, like I do now. We never went out and got schnockered together. Plus, you never tried to take pictures of me when I was drunk. =-)