Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Brent's First Day of Kindergarten



I had to wake my little man up this morning, which I've only had to do ONCE before in our lives. I didn't want to, but it was 7:05 and he wasn't up yet. From the moment he opened his eyes, he was bouncing off the walls with excitement. Here he is, all puffy-eyed, with his stuffed lamb that he sleeps with.






All dressed and impatient to go. He got ready this
morning in record time and wanted to leave for the bus stop (a 30-second walk) 15 minutes before we needed to.

























Front and back views with his backpack on. Is there anything cuter than a little kid wearing a backpack? They look so cute, and they're so proud to be wearing one :-) The Kindergartners get to wear name tags around their necks for the first few weeks of school, so teachers can help get them where they need to go at school, and to be sure they get on the right bus on the way home. He thinks it's so cool!




Getting on the bus for the first time!! Well, technically the second time. We did a dry run yesterday, walked to the bus stop, met the driver (she's great! And look how young she is!) and she let him climb on yesterday to check it out. I think it helped a lot, because today he wasn't nervous at all! He couldn't WAIT to get on, in fact. This helped to create the shock of the century: I DIDN'T CRY. How is that possible? I cried at every kids' movie I saw this summer (Over the Hedge, Cars, and Barnyard) and I even cried while LISTENING to Pooh's Heffalump Movie in the van. Seriously, I cry at everything. I welled up a little, but no tears actually fell out of my eyes. I guess I got all the tears out when I read that Beanstalk story from his teacher :-) And like I said- the fact that he was so excited and not nervous at all helped tremendously! If he'd been hesitant, I'd have lost it, for sure. I'm going to enjoy my 3 hours and 45 minutes of quiet until he gets home, but I can't wait to hear all about his day! I'm so proud of my little guy :-) And could he LOOK any more disgusted that I made him turn around once on the bus so I could take just one more picture? LOL.

5 comments:

keesh said...

Awe, how fricken cute! let us know how he likes it? Time sure flies when you have kids doesn't it!! they are getting too big!

Fred said...

I love this post! I wish blogging was around when my kids had their first day of school.

And, a happy bus diver? A bonus!

Jen said...

I didn't get online yesterday but I sure got a kick out of reading it just now (Thurs morning). Sounds like he LOVES school and congrats on holding it together! I'm the same way about crying--sometimes I don't cry when I'm sure I'm going to and then I DO do it when I least expect it (at, say, Lowe's commercials). That last look on his face was priceless! And FYI, the post looked fine to me, so either you went back and fixed it or it fixed itself.

Nik said...

Awww, those pix are so cute. I LOVE the one of him waiting impatiently. The look on his face is awesome-so disgusted! I'm glad he liked it and that he's so excited about school(wish they would keep that excitement about it though). Anyways, glad you didn't cry and that you were able to hold it together and not embarrass the child. lol

Jen said...

And has his "school buzz" worn off yet or is he still loving it?

And what are you guys doing this holiday weekend?