Sunday, August 13, 2006

HHH?

Has anyone ever heard of the Hash House Harriers? It's a worldwide organization with local chapters (I just found one in Naples, about 30 minutes from here) that bill themselves as "a drinking club with a running problem." Basically, they do these "hashes," which are like runs, with beer thrown in before, during and after. Or something. I'm still trying to figure it out. It's part social club, part running club, except a lot of the members walk the whole thing instead of running. They're all about my age (late 20s/early 30s) so I'm thinking about checking it out sometime. Should be good times, if nothing else. I can meet new people AND get some exercise.

Check out http://www.nih3.com/ for info on this particular chapter. Click on "Hash Info" to read more about what it is they actually do.

4 comments:

JH said...

I have run a couple HHH runs. They are usually crazy fun people. I found myself having a hard time keeping up with the partying. But running is a great way to meet people when I was living in Kansas City, I felt so lonely then I joined a running club and had fast friends. If you do run with them, never wear new shoes, they will make you run through mud puddles, creeks and/or rivers.

Madre said...

Wear old shoes! What I'm wondering about is how people manage to run when they are full of beer. (I wrote "bear" just now and somehow that seemed amazingly funny...not enough coffee yet, I guess) Anyway, I'd be running to the nearest pit stop. But it sounds like fun and a good way to meet people.

Fred said...

I've heard of it through The Muse. All I know is that she has always said nothing but great things about her experiences, and she's got lots of pictures from some of the events. I guess you could search her blog to find the posts.

Jen said...

Thanks Fred, I'll do that