Friday, August 18, 2006

Operation: Smackdown a success

I hesitate to declare victory too soon, but I have to say that day one of my offensive was successful. I was actually CHIPPER going to school today, looking forward to the showdown. Hell, I started early, writing up a couple of kids in my morning classes.

My 5th hour kids came in and they could tell right away that something was different. I didn't smile; if a student came up to me I just said "Have a seat", standing there stone-faced as they filed in. Then I slowly walked to the front of the class.

"I'm done arguing with you," I calmly stated--and began my speech (and I have to say, it was FLAWLESS. I should have freakin' recorded it and uploaded it so you all could have heard it).

"I'm sorry for those of you who DO behave, and who come here to learn," I concluded. "I'm sorry that this is the group of kids you're stuck with. But understand that I'm doing this so that WE--those of us who actually care--can have a better year. A GOOD year. A successful year."

And then I thanked them for listening so quietly and began my lesson.

About halfway through class, I suddenly noticed that I was talking incredibly loudly. I stopped and pointed it out to the class. "And do you know WHY I'm talking so loudly?" I asked. "Because in this class, I usually HAVE TO, just to be heard." You could have heard a pin drop as that started to sink in.

At the end of class, I said, "This is how class should be ALL THE TIME, and this is how it WILL be from now on. That's all. Have a nice weekend."

OH MY GOD IT WAS SO AWESOME. Best of all, I only had to write one kid up in that entire period. I was almost disappointed; I was looking forward to going on a rampage. In total, for the whole day, I only had 5 calls to make before I left for the day.

Granted, this was day one. I know the battle isn't over; not by a long shot. They're going to continue to test me, but I'm going to keep whipping out those discipline slips.

Have a great weekend. I know I will.

3 comments:

Nik said...

Way to represent, Miss Krzys! What were you arguing about though? I couldn't figure that part out, but I gotta say, if I was in your class, I'd definately straighten up. Hopefully you're speech will do some good. Of course, you're always gonna have the troublesome ones, but now they know that you aren't playing around.

Oh I have to tell you this, cuz it was so cute. Last week, me and the boys were talking and they didn't believe me that some kids are already in school. So, I told them that you had already been teaching at your school for a couple of weeks. Anthony got this really confused look on his face and asked, "But, how can Aunt Jen be a teacher if she lives in a different world now"? SO, apparently FL is a different world to him. It was so funny.

Jen said...

Hahhahahahahahhah. He is too cute.

By arguing, I mean every day, fighting with them to be quiet every day, yelling, etc

Madre said...

Good job, Jen! Some of our favorite teachers kept strict discipline but were still viewed as cool. You can strike that same balance. You're off to a great start!