Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Midweek (almost) check-in

1) When I had to go back and RETEACH nouns to 6th and 7th graders, I was starting to think that I was just a shitty, ineffective first-year teacher....but after talking to some of the other teachers on my team (for example, the social studies teacher told me that they can't distinguish between the northern and southern hemispheres), I realize that no, it's NOT me. It's them.

2) When you're buzzed, it becomes signifantly more difficult to grade 125 papers on plural nouns. Suddenly, YOU'RE not even sure if it's "pianoes" or "pianos". (Which makes your roommate love you that much more, when you have to ask him 15 times in 7 minutes the correct spelling of "radios".)

3) For added shits and giggles, have I mentioned that I have the principal's daughter in one of my classes? Yeah, no pressure THERE.

6 comments:

Nik said...

Drunk paper grading is the coolest, at least that way ya won't be too upset if they're not quite gettin it. I kinda feel sorry for the principal's daughter, that's gotta be a bit annoying.

I could look this up, but quite frankly, I'm lazy today, what is the correct spelling of those two words?

Jen said...

Pianos and radios.

Volcanoes, however, does have an "e."

I think.

I dont know, I'm buzzed again.

Jen said...

Damn Bennigans and their 2-for-1 drinks.

Jen said...

Wait no THIS is my last comment. Remember the girl who speaks almost no English? The girl can pluralize some verbs. I was amazed last night. She got 15/20. She got the "o" ones wrong (the same ones *I* couldnt do last night, LOL). But seriously, she has a harder time speaking it, but it looks like she understands English pretty well in the written form. I was so excited.

Mom said...

Maybe you shouldn't be teaching when you're buzzed.

Mom said...

I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.