Friday, August 11, 2006

Finishing off with a bang

Well, I started off my first week by getting pulled over in the school parking lot--and now I have a story to bookend that one.

We're reviewing nouns (common and proper--which, sadly, does not seem to be a "review" for some of my middle-schoolers). For homework, I copied a page out of Charlotte's Web and had them go through and mark all the common and proper nouns. Time permitting, I generally read the page out loud to them, as well, since some students learn better by hearing as opposed to reading/viewing.

So it's my last period class on Friday. I'm reading the page to them when "it" happens. (This is already legend around the school, FYI. I caught some serious shit about it at our post-work Applebee's "meeting" tonight.)

The sentence is supposed to read, "Papa, where are you going with that ax?"

However, *I* read, "Papa, where are you going with that ass?"

And somehow (due to allergies, I suspect), it came out sounding, "Where are you going with dat ass?"

Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to quiet down a class of 6th graders after something like that? On a FRIDAY? During the last period of the first week of school?

Quite a while, let me tell you.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I figured you'd find that pretty entertaining.

Although Renee, I can't remember the last time I've "seen" you "laugh" so hard. =-)

Nik said...

OMG, that's priceless! I'm dying laughing. So, where was Papa going with his ass? LMAO

John Cowart said...

Well, you got their attention.

Edward said...

Excellent!

This is dwarfed however by my 7th grade Science teacher who was in her first year and couldn't pronounce or-gan-is-m without saying or-gasm by accident about 50% of the time.

Boy that never got old!

Fred said...

Now I know where my high school kids are getting their foul language from.

Madre said...

LOLOL...can't wait to hear how next week goes. Be careful if you do pick up enough Spanish to talk to your ESL students. If you can do this in English, who knows what might come out in Spanish!