Wednesday, November 24, 2004

'Twas the night before Thanksgiving...

(I actually had another pre-Thanksgiving post up for about 3 hours, but then I came up with something MUCH better to write about besides the usual here's-what-I'm-thankful-for crap. I'm thankful for friends, family, Jeff, a place to live, a job, school, my Ryan Newman jersey and Bath and Body Works. There, now let's move on.)

It's almost 10 pm and I just got home from doing my Thanksgiving grocery shopping. (Again, let me remind you that we're not having our home-cooked Thanksgiving until Friday or Saturday, so this little shopping trip was not nearly as last-minute as it may seem. In fact, since I bought everything two or three days AHEAD OF TIME, I'd say that I was actually quite prompt.)

However, there ARE a lot of last-minute shoppers out on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Based on my Extensive Research (a Farmer Jack in Hillbillyville, MI), two types of people do their shopping the night before: clueless husbands and equally clueless single people.

It was quite heartwarming, really, the way we all banded together. We would ask each other random questions (my contributions to the conversations: "Is this less than 15 pounds?"and "Can I make au gratin potatoes in this?")

My most ambitious dish this year is yams (canned) with brown sugar and marshmallows. Next year, I think I'll try actually BAKING a pie.

Somehow, I spent $85--amazing, considering that I'm just cooking for two (three, if you count Fancy). Jeff's gonna shit bricks--but hey, isn't that what Thanksgiving's all about?

4 comments:

Jen said...

I only bought the Thanksgiving basics:

A turkey breast
Stuffing
Gravey
Cranberry Sauce
Mashed potatoes
Au Gratin potatoes
Jello
Pumpkin Pie
Cool whip
Hot cocoa (for the "blizzard" we were gonna get)
Alcohol (this added on like $20 right there)
Rolls
Disposable pans and things (another $10-20)

Jen said...

And a meat themometer. And a brush. And various other tools that looked REALLY IMPORTANT, though I don't know if I need them for the turkey or not, or what I would use them for...although they were BY the turkies, so I'm sure they're crucial.

Jen said...

And yams and brown sugar and marshmallows. I don't even particularly like yams, but we had them at MY T-giving dinner growing up, so...

It occured to me that I am on the cusp of creating my OWN Thanksgiving traditions, for MY family. Jeff's almost my family, and we'll have kids, and (God help us all) I'LL be the one responsible for making Thanksgiving dinner every year. THESE will be the memories that Jeff and the kids have. And, you know, the thought of being the mom/wife of the house, the one that has to do this every year, kind of excites me.

However, thank God that it will be just us for a few years...hopefully, by the time the kids are born, I'll know what the hell I'm doing in the kitchen.

Deep stuff, eh?

Jen said...

Yes, it seems like one could have bought a turkey once one arrived in AZ...but I digress. ;)