Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Grinch who Stole Halloween

The company I work at always celebrates holidays in big ways. Halloween has always been one of the biggest with a Pumpkin Carving Contest, a Costume Contest and a Pot Luck Party. We adults look forward to the fun of the Halloween party, slacking off for the afternoon to have fun.

This year, because some people in the company don't want to participate in the team event, our president has decided that we won't have any festivities at all.

I have always been a big supporter of tolerance for all beliefs, but (you knew there’d be a but, right?) now that it’s effecting me personally I’m wondering why is it that “tolerance” means no one gets to celebrate anything? I support people not participating in things they don’t believe in, but why does that mean that I don’t get to do them either? A variety of traditions should make our lives more fun with more things to celebrate, not leave us with nothing to celebrate at all. :(


Is this just how the world is going to be from now on?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yeah, I got your message last night...that really blows, Anna. I'm sorry that's the route they decided to go. It's too bad that one of the best company traditions got axed because of a few people. (Aren't you glad that "nothing is really going to change" after the buyout?)