Friday, June 12, 2009

A last-day letter

What makes this letter extra special is that it's from a student I had LAST year There is no better reward, as a teacher, than knowing you've made a lasting mark on one of your kids. Hell, it's why we go into teaching in the first place. The back story on this particular student: I encouraged N. to sign up for the advanced classes in middle school, because I knew she could handle it. She disagreed and was dead-set against it, convinced she would fail. I finally called her sister (her mom only speaks Spanish, so her college-aged sister is the go-to person) and explained the situation; the student, N., came in the next day and didn't talk to me for the first 2 hours (for her, that was a really long time, LOL). She finally told me that her sister was making her take the advanced classes, because "if your teacher thinks you can handle it, then you can").

N. made straight A's during her first year on the advanced track.

Dear Miss K----,

Even though you were my 5th grade teacher doesn't mean I'll forget about you and it doesn't mean that you won't be my favorite teacher still. I'll never forget you no matter how old you get or I get or the years that may seperate us. I know I can accomplish that because you didn't forget about the New Kids on the Block and they are oldies, probably older than my grandparents (jk). But this letter is mostly about you helping me be ready for life. You helped me start my life career by giving me advanced classes. You helped me believe that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. Thank you so so much. LOVE YA, Miss K----!

4ever ur student,
N.

PS--Can I borrow ur New Kids on the Block CD??

3 comments:

Renee said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Get this laminated so you can look back on it many years from now :-)

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest thing ever.

anna said...

Aw! I'm teary and have goosebumps! What a thoughtful girl. You rock for pushing her to believe in herself and she rocks for thanking you!