Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dangerous minds

I had one of my kids possibly break his thumb today.

While taking a math test.

Yes, you read that correctly. While sitting in his chair, at his desk, taking a test that involved ONLY a pencil and paper, he somehow managed to injure himself pretty seriously. Then again, this is the kid who can't walk across the classroom without tripping over air, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Here's how it went down: everyone was industriously working on the fine art of adding and subtracting decimals when A. suddenly jumped up, howling and holding his hand. Of course, *I* immediately jumped up and leapt over several binders to get to him. (I was like Super Teacher--faster than a speeding eraser.) As he kept repeating "owowowowowowow", he held out his hand--and his right thumb (and the mound/pad part of his palm) were already swollen up to like three times the normal size.

After seeing the damage, I looked at him for a moment and then asked him one simple question. "HOW?!" And then I added, for clarification: "Seriously, A., HOW?"

Well, as it turns out, he was scooting up his chair and his finger got caught between the chair and his desk.

Of course.

I sent him right down to the nurse, who called back up to my room about 10 minutes later to tell me that his grandpa was on his way to take A. to the ER. So I don't know for sure that it's broken yet, but the boy did SOMETHING to it, that's for sure.

If I had a son, it would be this kid.

3 comments:

Renee said...

LOLOLOLOL. I'm dying because the whole time I was reading this, I was thinking your last sentence, exactly!

I hope he's okay. Ranks right up there with cutting your arm on broken plates :-)

Nik said...

Jen, you're sure he's NOT yours. Definitely sounds like he'd be your offspring. LMAO Poor kid, hope he's okay.

sparkydiva said...

yeah...uh...i was thinking surely you were the only person in the world that could break something simply by taking a math test, unless you had given birth several years ago to a male child...that is now in your classroom.

bwaaahahahahaha.

i kill me.