Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not sure how to title this post

I guess I'll just cut right to the chase: there's a 75% chance it's MS.

So that sucks.

But, it actually doesn't suck as bad as the other 25%, which includes vasculitis. I guess that vasculitis can be a pretty big deal when it affects the brain. At least MS won't give me a fatal anueryism or something. The test for that, though, is pretty damn invasive, so let's just hope it doesn't come to that. And there are other diseases that mimic MS, but the blood tests are more rare (I guess it's hard to find a place that is capable of testing for that) and really expensive.

Anyway, my neuro (I can't believe I actually HAVE a neurologist) said that considering the symptoms I have (including what appears to be lesions on my brain and possibly my optical nerve, which is the "multiple" in "MS"), my age and my race, "it's MS until proven otherwise." So now I need a spinal tap, which I'm having on the 2nd. (I told him that I'm the type who has to be sedated for an eyebrow waxing, and he said, "Don't worry. It's not nearly as bad as an eyebrow waxing.") After that, it'll take about 2 weeks for the results to come back. My next appointment (which is when I'll probably find out the results) is January 20-something. The spinal tap CAN come back negative for MS when it's actually positive, though, so it's by no means a definitive answer. But it's the next step. And then, positive or negative, we go from there.

15 comments:

Nik said...

DAMN IT,DAMN IT, DAMN IT-- not what you were supposed to hear!!!

(Other than being angry, I don't know what else to say). It kinda fucks w/ your faith when it seems like nothing but bad news keeps coming with regards to my family and their health.

Jen I love ya, but not so sure praying works anymore, so I can't say that I will be.

Jen said...

Well, before you have a meltdown, keep in mind that MS is almost the GOOD news here. And hey, if I have it, maybe it's cuz He knows I can handle it.

Nik said...

Very true-- my stepdad has a friend who was diagnosed with MS at a very young age and he's probably 40-ish and he's doing well.

I'm sorry to get all bent out of shape, it's just been nothing but bad news for a few weeks now and it's starting to get to me. Everything will be alright!!

Jen said...

And, as someone on the MS board said, "a blonde Pollack with MS? This could get pretty entertaining." =-) You thought I was klutzy BEFORE...

seriously, though, that kind of stuff has definitely gotten worse in the last few months, esp dropping stuff. The doc asked what kind of symptoms I've noticed, and I made him laugh when I said, "Just the usual...walking into doors, walls...you know, the typical stuff that happens to EVERYONE."

Jen said...

I said "stuff" three times in that last paragraph. You'd think a LA teacher would have a better vocabulary...and stuff.

keesh said...

Jen - you know I will be praying for you, whatever the outcome is. I have a friend who's brother in law has MS, he is only 21 or so. if you have any ?'s, I can give you her email address. she does all the walks and has done a TON of research and when he had problems from MS, she was at the hospital with him...

Jen said...

yeah that would be nice kish. thanks

Jen said...

Oh, and when the neuro walked in, he said to me:

"Well, I looked at your MRI. I even called in another doctor for a consult, and I'm not sure what the hell that is."

Turns out, the actual location of the spots are a little off from where he expected MS lesions to be (not a LOT off or anything; "it can still most definitely be MS, it's just a bit more unusual."

Well, DUH. You didnt think I was going to do MS NORMALLY, did ya? =-)

John Cowart said...

Oh Jen,
I'm so sorry you're going through all this crap.
I'm waiting for the results for my own biopsy to come back too, so I undeerstand a little of the aggrivation you are going through...
Endure.
What do you mean? Doesn't everyone doesn't walk into walls and doors and stuff?

Jen said...

John, we'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers, as well. when are you supposed to get word back?

Jen said...

WEll remember, it's not for sure.

Jen said...

Well shit, here's hoping the spinal tap comes back positive for MS:

CNSV (vasculitis in the central nervous system) symptoms and signs are frequently subtle, subacute, and often non–specific in nature. These characteristics, combined with the fact that confirmation of the diagnosis requires that an invasive procedure (either an angiogram or a brain biopsy) be performed on a delicate organ system — the brain — qualifies CNSV as one of the most challenging diagnoses to make in medicine.

Jen said...

The GOOD news is, the symptoms of that bad one seem to be more stroke-like, and I don't have ANY of those. The only reason they suspected it is because of the MRI, so hopefully (that's weird to say) it's because of MS, or even an MS-mimic-er (all of which they'd test for before we have to worry about starting the bad testing)

Madre said...

Jen, I'm sorry you're going through this. I got diagnosed with an auto-immune disease about eight years ago. I wanted to fight against it, but like you I realized that things could be worse. That spirit will carry you through a lot, kiddo. I want to fix this for you, but since I can't do that I'll just send as much support as possible.

Jen said...

THanks, LOri. The MS I can handle, if that's what it is (although I won't be HAPPY about it). =-) It's some other stuff that scares me. More than that, though, I just almost hope it's MS so I can stop going through all the damn testing (which gets progressively worse) and I can stop wasting time and start the meds (the earlier you start, the "better" the MS can be down the road).