Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Gimpy's home!

She came home yesterday. She's off the morphine so she's much easier to have a conversation with now. She's basically "back to normal" (have yourself a little giggle here--or a sarcastic snort, whatever) but is realizing, as she said, "the little things you take for granted." It takes her a lot longer to do EVERYTHING now, of course.

That's about all. I have my kids making her cards for extra credit (it's the last week of the semester so I figured I'd throw them an easy one; usually my extra credits involve a lot of writing and/or research--well, except for the Growing Pains theme song thing). One girl went all out and made her a really impressive pop-up card. I told her she's getting quadruple-extra-credit.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I only one kid perform so far--Carlos. It was so funny, he sang it really fast and TOTALLY off key. I hear I have a group performance during 6th hour tomorrow, though.

Jen said...

1,000,000.

No, I dont know yet.

I didn't tell you about this yet??

Jen said...

I had almost the entire 6th hour serenade me today. Good Lord. I still haven't recovered.

And in 7th hour, I said, "Tyler! I'll give you extra credit if you STOP singing!"

It's not enough points to make a huge difference, but I'm throwing them a bone or two at the end of the semester. It won't take someone from a D to a B or anything, but it could give someone a boost from a high D to a Low C or something. Plus, it tested their research skills because they had to find the lyrics, etc. (However, the kids who most often do the extra credit or generally the kids who need it the least, you know?)

I REALLY wish I had had a video camera for 6th hour. They stood in a long, dysfunctional, tone-deaf line in the back of the room and sang it (kind of), swaying back and forth. The funniest part was when different parts of the line finished at different timess--they had staggered endings, so at the very end, you heard the last 4 kids go "...sharing the laughter and loooove." It sounded like those songs...what are they called, when they all have staggered starts and stops, like Row Row Row Your Boat? Rounds or something?