Saturday, December 02, 2006

Can't I just be, like, the cool older sister?

Last night, after an evening of socializing with the other teachers, I swung upstairs to see what my new friends from last weekend were up to. One of the girls just found out that she's pregnant and has decided, in the words of Miranda from Sex and the City, that she "need not be."

"Well," I said after she told me what she had decided to do, "if there's anything I can do, please let me know. You know I'm right downstairs if you need anything."

"Ooooh, I love you," she said as she threw her arms around me. "It's so, like, awesome how you look out for us. You're like our mom--"

and then she must have noticed the look on my face--

--"slash-best-friend," she finished.

Now come on. This is one of the younger girls--18, I believe. If you work the numbers, it is downright unlikely that I'd be old enough to be her mother, if not physically IMPOSSIBLE. I mean, I would have been like *12* when she was born. And that's getting a REALLY early start.

Even for THIS family.

8 comments:

JH said...

don't feel bad, the girl at target says to me the other day: excuse me SIR! It has been two weeks since the incident and I still haven't quite recovered.

keesh said...

Yeah, remember when 30 was old. now we are the one's who seem old to other people. Just take me for example, my body is just falling apart. I think it is because I hit 30...at least these girls have someone who can be there for them who will understand and not judge....

qrswave said...

"the girl at target says to me the other day: excuse me SIR!"

ROFL!!! Good one! I don't think I could get over that one!

Don't feel bad girls - wait until you hit 35! Then you can really start kissing your youth goodbye!

J/K - really, it's all about how you feel, not so much what you look like.

Enjoy 30 while you can, though - you're still WAY young.

John Cowart said...

It's great for you to be there for the girl to confide in when troubled.

Concerning age, the cashier at the BBQ restaurant Saturday took one look at me and automatically deducted their Decrepit Discount from my bill.

Jen said...

Decrepit Discount... LOLOL

Nik said...

Ya gotta admit Jen, you do have that motherly quality about you when someone's going through tough stuff. A sister would let you know what a dumbass you are and then let you know that she's there for you no matter what. Hope you're taking it as the compliment it was intended to be though.

Mom said...

LOLOL

Mom said...

I am laughing at every post - you are all funny.

John - ask Jen about my meltdown at Denny's when I realized I was old enough for the senior discount.

Don't know how old you are but I feel your pain.