Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Are you freakin' KIDDING me?!

Great news! Justin got a promotion at work yesterday. (He works for a car dealership here in town.) He's being promoted to business manager, which is a huge deal for someone his age (the youngest BM before him was like 34). It comes, obviously, with a HUGE raise. So I'm very proud of him.

Now....he just has to go to "business manager training school."

In Tennessee.

15 hours away.

For 3-6 months.

He leaves a week from today.

Yes, go ahead and laugh. I did. Not because it's particular funny, but just because....it figures. What? Jen's deliriously happy? Well shit, we can't have THAT.

No...in all seriousness, I'm incredibly bummed, but I'm not that SAD. I mean, it's an amazing opportunity for him, and I'm so proud of him. We talked for quite a while last night, and we're just going to see what happens, pretty much. Hell, we've only been dating for a freakin' WEEK (two, by the time he leaves), so going into a 3-6 month long-distance relationship is asking a bit much. However, we're also NOT going to be together, if that makes sense. We're going to talk and we're going to see each other when we can (he'll be coming home to see his daughter, of course, but obviously a great deal of time will be spent WITH his daughter--and we don't know yet how often he'll be able to come home. When he told me how much he was going to be making, I told him that he could EASILY afford to fly home every other weekend to see Chloe--and I didn't say this, but if *I* saw him even once a month, I'd be happy). The bottom line is, we don't want to put the stress of a "formal" LDR on such a new relationship--but if this thing we found is really real, it'll still be there in 3-6 months. (I feel like he's going to prison, LOL.) This way, he said, "Now I have something really good to come home to."

So....we'll spend as much time as we can together this week (he has Chloe tonight, but we're hopefully going to get together either Wed. or Thurs., depending on his work schedule, and then he's going to come over on Friday and spend the weekend), and then....I tell him I'm happy for him and that I'll talk to him soon. And then I find something to keep me busy till he gets back, like achieving world peace or finding a cure for cancer. (I already told him I didn't think I wanted to date anyone over the next few months. Dating is to find someone you want to be with, I reminded him, and I already DID that, even if he's "going away" for 3 to 6. I won't be putting my LIFE on hold; not by any means. I have work, my friends, the gym, the world peace/cancer thing, etc. I still have my life...I'm just waiting for him to come back into it.

And, once he DOES came back, he'll be making bank. Holla!

1 comment:

keesh said...

oh the drama girl. I think you have the right perspective on things...that time will probably go pretty fast and at least he will be back in time for Summer break!