Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You've Got to Know When to Hold 'Em...

I know. We've been back for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm FINALLY getting around to posting about our trip to Vegas. Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say about it. We had fun, we really did. But I don't think it lived up to the expectations of the other couple we were with, and they (or she) made it known and morphed into a spoiled brat on Friday night. It kind of put a damper on our last night there, and unfortunately, that's what we took away from the trip. I'm glad this wasn't my first time there, otherwise I might not have wanted to go back.

Having said that, I can't WAIT to go back again (sans the Cranky Pants Couple), and I believe EVERYONE should go at least once in their lives. Even if you aren't a gambler, there's SO MUCH to see and do. I hate crowds, but I love Vegas. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced.


We were initially a little disappointed when we realized our room wasn't overlooking the Strip. That quickly changed when I opened the curtains and saw this view! The picture doesn't do it justice-- the mountains are breathtaking!










This is the clearest picture of John and me, which isn't saying much. This was taken the night we got there, standing next to the fountain outside of the Monte Carlo, where we stayed.
I think this is the first time I've posted my picture on here. Good thing it's blurry ;-)

This one is meant as a joke... Friday morning the guys stayed at the hotel to play in a poker tournament, so C and I went exploring. We were actually looking for the infamous "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign to take pictures next to, but someone apparently gave us wrong directions. He told us it was next to Mandalay Bay. We walked to and completely around Mandalay Bay, and up and down the street, looking for that damned sign, to no avail. C wore her pedometer; we walked 6 miles that day. Me, in sandals. Good call, Renee. Since we couldn't find our sign, we posed next to this one, since we walked around it 75 times.

This is me next to one of the Egyptian dudes outside of the Luxor, one of the coolest hotels out there.

Another disappointment is that most of my night pictures didn't turn out. I realized, much too late, that I'd been using the "firework" feature on my camera instead of the regular ol' "night" feature. Yet another reason to go back again soon!

This is the best nighttime picture I took, and sadly, not even of the Strip.

I'm not a huge gambler (I only play Blackjack out there), and I lost the $200 I started with, but it took me all three days to lose it, thanks to the $5 tables. John won my $200 back and more playing Texas Hold 'Em. I'm trying to get him to go professional :-)

You know, girls... Vegas would make a really fun Girls' Weekend! Next year is Florida, the following year... Vegas? Flights are cheap! Start saving your pennies!

You never count your money

When you're sittin' at the table

There'll be time enough for countin'

When the dealin's done

3 comments:

Nik said...

Renee, the pix are fine! All we wanted was the damn post, we've been waiting forever.

I love the picture of you in front of the Mandalay bay sige, too cute. Oh and the nighttime picture that you took turned out great. Sorry that you didn't have as much fun as you could have had. Don'tcha hate it when people ruin good times? You're absolutely right, there will be other times.

I do regret to inform you, though, that my pennies are taking me to Ireland someday. lol

Fred said...

Great post, Renee. I LOVE Vegas.

I agree with you, everyone needs to go at least once. I'm trying to get The Missus to go with me on a future visit. I'm proposing very little gambling, and want to go to the afternoon and evening shows for a week. It's amazing how good the productions are out there now.

Since I just got back myself, it's always good to see someone else having a good time out there.

Jen said...

I'm there! Seriously.

So how much DID he win? Ballpark figure here. =-)