Friday, October 27, 2006


Party like middle-school rock stars

My homeroom threw me a surprise party for my upcoming birthday. I knew they were planning SOMETHING, since 6th and 7th graders are not especially subtle OR good secret-keepers, but I didn't expect them to go all out. They decorated my entire room with construction-paper chains (seriously, it goes ALL THE WAY around my room...that's a LOT of links for them to have made), they plastered my bulletin board with a construction paper "30," some of them got me gifts....AND they coordinated a little food spread. When I walked into the room, they all jumped out and yelled "Surprise!" It was really pretty sweet. This class is also my 2nd hour, so I told them that once they get back from P.E., we'd scrap our lesson plans and "party like rock stars" (which, for middle-schoolers, basically entails being allowed to eat cake, potato chips and chocolate at 9:30 in the morning).





























9 comments:

Mom said...

That is SO cute!!

Mom said...

However did they know it was your birthday?

Jen said...

If it had been a TOTAL surprise I probably would have, but I had a hint of something so I was emotionally prepared. When I saw how much they did, though, I was pretty touched.

I've had a countdown on the board all month. =-)

Mom said...

LOL Renee - I was gonna ask the same thing.

Jen said...

A heart-warming poem from one of them:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
You're getting old
Stinks to be you"

keesh said...

Personally, I like the poem. nice, out of the mouths of babes :). I told my husband I guess I better get my hair cut short, since I will be in my 30's now...you are so not alone girl!

Nik said...

That's too cool! Looks like you've got some pretty cool kids you're teaching.

That poem rocks!!

JH said...

That's so cool!

John Cowart said...

Sounds as though you are a real hit with these kids!