Pros and cons.
I have an interview tomorrow for a nanny position.
A friend of mine, who shall remain anonymous (we'll call her April), used to work with me until she left to become a nanny. She left in Sept and says she's been very happy.
Well, at that time, I signed up for various nanny agencies; however, although families have expressed interest, nothing has ever come of it. Either the hours they were offering didn't work with my school schedule, or the pay was too low, or they had a dog, or they lived too far away....I've kept my profile active, just in case something compatable too long, but I've assumed I'd just be at the preschool until I do my student teaching in September.
I got a call from a family over the weekend--a family who lives about 3 miles away. I talked to the mom for quite a while tonight, and so far, I really, really like her. There are three kids: a kinder who would be in kindergarten all day; a preschooler would be gone in the morning; and then a 2 year old who I would have all day. In the summer, of course, I would have all three "full time" (which is still a lot easier than the summer camp I did last year).
Here are the pros for leaving my current job and going to work for this family:
1) Only having to work for ONE family (according to "April," this is a big plus)
2) More money than I'm making now (granted, more hours, too, but that's not the point)
3) Many paid days off, as the father is a government employee and therefore usually gets at least one day off a month. I wouldn't have to work but would still get my weekly rate (I'd be paid a "weekly" amount rather than an hourly one)
4) A summer bonus
5) They're willing to accomodate my student teaching schedule in the fall; I could still do student teach in the fall of 2005, come back and work for my family the following winter and summer of 2006 and then begin teaching on schedule the fall of 2006 (assuming I found a teaching job)
6) 3 kids instead of 30
7) It works with my school schedule.
Here are the cons:
1) I'm leaving a job I like. WHAT IF I don't like nannying? Maybe I shouldn't rock the boat.
Mom pointed out that I'm leaving a "teaching" type job for a "babysitting" type job; however, in my opinion, I can still do the same things with these kids that I do with my preschool kids--I an still do reading stuff, teach them letters, numbers, colors, etc. I'd just be doing it at their homes instead of at a preschool. And I'd be working more one-on-one with the kids, rather than having a whole class of kids at a time.
So...I meet with her tomorrow after work, but it's basically to make sure 1) I like the mom 2) she likes me 3) I like the kids 4) they like me. If all goes well, it looks like I have a new job.
What do we think?