Thursday, January 20, 2005

Change o' plans.

I got word last night that the preschool will be closed for the rest of the week due to that water main break. I called J., my new "boss," to tell her that I was available to her now, instead of having to wait. So, I'll be starting my nanny job on Thursday instead of next Monday. (Well...J. will be there, at least tomorrow, and it will only be half a day, but I'll be technically on the clock.)

The downside to all of this is that I never got to say goodbye to my preschool kids; hell, I never even got to tell them I was leaving. I was going to do all of that this week, but we were closed on Monday for MLK Day and then we were shut down the rest of the week for the water main break. I'm going to try to go back and visit on one of my days off, but... man, I'm going to miss those kids. (However, M., my old boss, is pulling one last stunt that makes it a lot easier for me to leave. See, she still charges parents on snow days, holidays like MLK Day, etc., and the WHOLE REASON FOR DOING SO is that she can still pay us, her staff, for those days. Well, I found out that she's charging the parents for the four days we were closed for the flooding this week--but is she paying her staff? NO. So she's making a PROFIT off of this little incident. A rather hefty one, might I add. Since she's still charging the parents, she could easily afford to still pay us; she wouldn't be losing anything. But nooooooo. Now mind you, this woman is RICH. She and her husband own a freakin' AIR PLANE. They have a huge, rock-star RV that they paid for IN CASH. So paying her staff for the last four days wouldn't be a big deal to her; however, to us peons, losing almost a full week's pay is a VERY big deal, you know?)

Anyway. That chapter of my life is closed. It's time to move on--and, starting Thursday, I will.

No comments: