Monday, January 10, 2005

Nanny-ing.

Yeah, so I got the job. I put in my two weeks notice at the preschool. I'm sad to be leaving the school, because I've gotten attached to a lot of the kids. I also really enjoy most of the people I work with. I just feel like...I don't know. Time for a change, I guess. More money, closer to home--and I can build a relationship with one particular family. I'll be helping to RAISE their kids (at least for the next year or two, anyway). That's a pretty big deal.

I've been doing my homework, too. I've been watching Nanny 911 on Fox every Wednesday night, and I ordered a book from Amazon called "The Nanny Textbook." I also ordered "You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again" (about nannies in Hollywood--supposed to be REALLY good).

So...yeah. I feel torn. It's bittersweet.

10 comments:

Renee said...

Congratulations! I know it'll be hard to leave the preschool, but I think you'll really like Nannying, and I think you'll be AWESOME at it!

keesh said...

Yay Jen! This will allow you more one on one time with each child to really make a difference in their lives! How cool!

Anna said...

Congrats on the new job!

Did you ever read the Nanny Diaries about nannying in New York? That was a crazy one. I'm sure nannying in Michigan will be much better!

Jen said...

Yeah, I just reread that book again.

Anna said...

I watched Nanny 911 last night and now I'm scared as all hell to have kids. Those kids and the mom were terrors!
Have you seen the show? How do you keep your famies & kids from turning into that?

Renee said...

LOL. They were pretty scary, weren't they?

You just have to set rules and stick to them! It's really hard not to give into your beatiful, perfect child, especially when they give those puppy-dog eyes, but you just have to be firm. And it makes it easier when you know they'll turn into those kids from the show last night if you let them do whatever they please.

Anna, I know I don't know you THAT well, but I think you have a no-nonsense attidude when it's needed, I KNOW you won't let your kids walk all over you... I really think you'll be a great mom when you're ready.

Jen said...

Anna, isn't that show awesome?? It's my new guilty pleasure!

Renee said...

I missed like half of it cuz I was on the phone with my sister, but Jen I'm so glad you turned me on to it cuz it's AWESOME!

I also saw previews yesterday for a new nanny show... now I can't remember what it's called. Same principal, though.

Jen said...

I'm reading that other nanny book, You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again (about Hollywood nannies)--SO GOOD. Funny and sad.

Lisa said...

So, how come the nanny thing and is it related to your studies as a teacher or are you completely changing career paths - sorry out of the loop and you will have to fill me in.